Visual Studio 2010 slowness...

Started by
7 comments, last by The Communist Duck 13 years, 7 months ago
Hi,

My company recently upgraded from 2008 to 2010. What i've found is that the editor is horribly slow. Tabbing between files takes seconds, and just scrolling around or typing feels really unresponsive.

The solution file we are working with has 50-100 projects and thousands of source files.

Source control used is Perforce. (in 2008 we used niftyperforce, but in 2010 the srouce control integration works)

Language is c++.

What i've done to speed it up a bit is disabling intellisense and installing the visual assist plugin (which beats intellisense anyway)

It still feel very sluggish and unresponsive, and i cant really belive it should act like this. So i'm asking here, in the hopes that any of you guys have any tips or tweaks i can do to make it better.
www.ageofconan.com
Advertisement
We haven't made the switch yet, but it was always very responsive on smaller projects when I was playing with it during the beta.

Just out of curiosity, what happensi f you disable perforce integration?
You don't have your monitor rotated by any chance do you?

32 or 64-bit system?
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
sorry for the late reply.

the system is vista64.

Disabling perfoce does not make it better.. :/
www.ageofconan.com
Have you checked the status bar? usually when VS starts to chug for me, it is because intelesense/VAX is "refreshing" its databases. There isn't much of a way around it other than waiting it out, or disabling it.

Quote:
The solution file we are working with has 50-100 projects and thousands of source files.

Can you break that up a bit? Less files/solutions in the project means less things for the IDE to deal with. If you don't need it all loaded at once, just unload the other projects.
hi,
same problem here its not exactly slow but feels not as fast as '08 as you said responsivness suffers. i am using a two monitor setup (none of them turned) 24"@1920x1280 and an HDTV at 720p. the switch to the wpf is probably the problem.

I've heard it alleged that they've rewritten a lot of the UI components from C/C++ to C#/.net type ones, and they haven't really had time to do the optimisation stuff.

This is a reason why the editor doesn't support all the compatibility modes that the old one does. (no emacs! **Schniff**)

Quote:Original post by Katie
This is a reason why the editor doesn't support all the compatibility modes that the old one does. (no emacs! **Schniff**)

Take a look at: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2010/09/01/emacs-emulation-extension-now-available.aspx.
Try disabling Intellisense.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement