Portable game engine - C or C++?

Started by
14 comments, last by meeshoo 13 years, 7 months ago
Quote:C++ is a superset of C.
Quote:
Approaching C++ as if it were C with classes will ultimately lead you astray.
That's interesting, as Bjarne Stroustrup -- whom I once met -- said that was exactly his goal when designing C++, to make it "C with Classes". Yes, there are some mostly trivial differences, but I've succesfully compiled many a C project under a C++ compiler with little to no changes.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Echkard
Quote:
That's interesting, as Bjarne Stroustrup -- whom I once met -- said that was exactly his goal when designing C++, to make it "C with Classes". Yes, there are some mostly trivial differences, but I've succesfully compiled many a C project under a C++ compiler with little to no changes.

I would no longer call them trivial as for above mentioned C99 features. And not all C99 features will also be supported in C++0x.

That is not to say, of course, that most C is also C++. But a significant amount is not.
I think C++ 0x has a quite a long road before it will be approved, because i think they had 2010 as a deadline and they didn't make it.

Btw, how about SIMD support on mobile processors?
Quote:Original post by Echkard
Quote:

Funny how years and years of language development and learning can change an outdated original goal, isn't it? I don't think he would consider C++ "C with Classes" today, and indeed, he spends a lot of time trying to explain to educators that C++ is its own language and needs to be taught differently than learning C features and then C++ features.

Learning Standard C++ As A New Language
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Quote:Original post by meeshoo
I think C++ 0x has a quite a long road before it will be approved, because i think they had 2010 as a deadline and they didn't make it.

As I understand it, the deadline is March 2011. Mind you some compilers already support it.

Quote:Original post by meeshoo
Btw, how about SIMD support on mobile processors?

This has got nothing to do with C++, and everything to do with the CPU manufacturers.
I know it hasn't have anything to do with C++, but still it is about portability, and I know too little about what kind of CPUs are on the majority of the phones. I know ARM architecture is very popular, but are there any others that I should care about?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement