Sign in to follow this  

where can I found a C++ framework of an engine

This topic is 2656 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi

I would like to start creating a game engine in C++ using OpenGL.
I studied OpenGL and I think I'm ready to give it a try.
But I would like to start with a frame work where the basics are present so that I do not have to invent the wheel again.
I just want the basics to be present and from there try my own special things.
So that I do not need to write the code to initialize stuff, send vertixes to the card and matrix operations etc.

I could check some open source game engine but there are already a lot of choices made in these engines that layout a particular structure for that engine. I want to make may own choices. Starting almost from scratch.

I need some code that I can use in a commercial product. I'm willing to buy some little framework if it exists.

Any suggestions?

Quote:
Original post by melomania
Quote:
Original post by oler1s
Sounds like you want SDL or SFML.

It seems to me these are targetted towards 2D applications.
I was thingking about 3D.

Both provide a rendering context that you can hook OpenGL into.

It sounds like you would enjoy G3D. It is C++ and wraps most of the functionality of OpenGL, but you can still intermix raw OpenGL calls if you wish. It also includes a nice 3d math library that you can use by itself, or use your own math lib, or use ALL of the features of the engine and just focus on your game. In short, you can use as much or as little of the framework as you want.

I second the recommendation of G3D; if I wasn't rolling my own due to incompatible requirements, I'd probably be using it. One of the great benefits is that there is an implementation for G3D of the currently best real-time fully dynamic global illumination approach; see here: Hardware-Accelerated Global Illumination by Image Space Photon Mapping and scroll down for the code.
This is fully real-time on last generation cards for moderately complex scenes.

However, for math specifically I would recommend CML due to 1) extreme speed--template metaprogramming based that also happens to autovectorize very well with decent optimization settings on your compiler), 2) lightweight--header-only, and 3) very nice API design and ease of integration with OpenGL and DirectX. If you go with G3D, you can still use the two together and will likely gain some performance in any CPU geometry/transforms etc.

[Edited by - Prune on September 2, 2010 2:57:16 PM]

Quote:
Original post by melomania
It seems to me these are targetted towards 2D applications.
No, they both have some built-in support for 2-d rendering, but they're just general-purpose libraries for windowing, events, sound, etc. Either of them can easily be used as the basis for a fully-3D game or engine. (I know SDL can at least, and I assume SFML can as well.)

Quote:
Original post by Prune
Hardware-Accelerated Global Illumination by Image Space Photon Mapping

Recursion is good and often the solution, but clearly, this doesn't bring us to http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/papers/PhotonHPG09/. The solution is to add a "=" between href and http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/papers/PhotonHPG09/ and reap

this, yay.

Ogre3D is a decent choice. Its only graphical, can use opengl/directx (althought you won't really need to touch either). Has all the model loaiding you'd need along with animations, particles and exporters for a variety of modelling apps. You can writee shaders for it in a variety of languages (glsl if thats your thing).

Overall I am quite imrpessed with it.

Quote:
Original post by phresnel
Recursion is good and often the solution, but clearly, this doesn't bring us to http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/papers/PhotonHPG09/. The solution is to add a "=" between href and http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/papers/PhotonHPG09/ and reap

this, yay.

Thanks for catching my typo. I've edited the link.

This topic is 2656 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.