where can I found a C++ framework of an engine

Started by
12 comments, last by Prune 13 years, 7 months ago
Hi

I would like to start creating a game engine in C++ using OpenGL.
I studied OpenGL and I think I'm ready to give it a try.
But I would like to start with a frame work where the basics are present so that I do not have to invent the wheel again.
I just want the basics to be present and from there try my own special things.
So that I do not need to write the code to initialize stuff, send vertixes to the card and matrix operations etc.

I could check some open source game engine but there are already a lot of choices made in these engines that layout a particular structure for that engine. I want to make may own choices. Starting almost from scratch.

I need some code that I can use in a commercial product. I'm willing to buy some little framework if it exists.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Sounds like you want SDL or SFML.
Quote:Original post by oler1s

It seems to me these are targetted towards 2D applications.
I was thingking about 3D.

Irrlicht Engine

Free, open-source, OpenGL and DirectX.
Quote:Original post by XeonXT
Irrlicht Engine

Free, open-source, OpenGL and DirectX.

But that is a full blown engine.
I would like only the basics, so that I can add my own stuff.

SDL with OpenGL? Or Ogre3D?

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Quote:Original post by melomania
Quote:Original post by oler1s

I was thingking about 3D.

Both provide a rendering context that you can hook OpenGL into.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

It sounds like you would enjoy G3D. It is C++ and wraps most of the functionality of OpenGL, but you can still intermix raw OpenGL calls if you wish. It also includes a nice 3d math library that you can use by itself, or use your own math lib, or use ALL of the features of the engine and just focus on your game. In short, you can use as much or as little of the framework as you want.
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
I second the recommendation of G3D; if I wasn't rolling my own due to incompatible requirements, I'd probably be using it. One of the great benefits is that there is an implementation for G3D of the currently best real-time fully dynamic global illumination approach; see here: Hardware-Accelerated Global Illumination by Image Space Photon Mapping and scroll down for the code.
This is fully real-time on last generation cards for moderately complex scenes.

However, for math specifically I would recommend CML due to 1) extreme speed--template metaprogramming based that also happens to autovectorize very well with decent optimization settings on your compiler), 2) lightweight--header-only, and 3) very nice API design and ease of integration with OpenGL and DirectX. If you go with G3D, you can still use the two together and will likely gain some performance in any CPU geometry/transforms etc.

[Edited by - Prune on September 2, 2010 2:57:16 PM]
"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" --Mark Twain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Looking for a high-performance, easy to use, and lightweight math library? http://www.cmldev.net/ (note: I'm not associated with that project; just a user)
Quote:Original post by melomania
No, they both have some built-in support for 2-d rendering, but they're just general-purpose libraries for windowing, events, sound, etc. Either of them can easily be used as the basis for a fully-3D game or engine. (I know SDL can at least, and I assume SFML can as well.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement