rotation in 3d..

Started by
4 comments, last by Drizzt DoUrden 22 years, 8 months ago
What exactly would I write to slow down the roation of a 3d object, the object I am using is a basic figure made of blocks(just to test out some stuff), and I just was wondering if I could make the rotation slower. If this is an extremely complicated thing, please, just reply telling me it is complicating, because I am just getting around texture mapping now, so I am just between newbie/intermediate, and prob. closer to newbie. Its not really something I need, I am just curios of openGLs capabilites "I''''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Advertisement
Floats are your friend!

here''s a slow rotation example.

Render() {
glTranslatef(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f); // whever you need

glPushMatrix(); // save current matrix, work with new one
glRotatef(objectXRot, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f); // rotate x
glRotatef(objectYRot, 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f); // rotate y
glRotatef(objectXRot, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f); // rotate z

DrawObjectHere(); // draw object (cube, sphere...)
glPopMatrix(); // i''m done with this matrix! get the old one back

objectXRot += 0.01f; // set new global x,y,z
objectYRot += 0.01f;
objectZRot += 0.01f;
}

This would draw whatever your doing with a very slow rotation. Hence the x, y and z increment of only 0.01.

Good luck!
And if there''s a problem with what I said, forgive me. I''m a newbie too! =)

- Mike
"The important thing to remember when programming is: When you're 90% complete, there's still 50% more to go."
I think I understand now. I think though, what I really need to do is make the camera rotate around an object, I figured if I make the object rotate slowly I could probably make a decent newbie matrix effect, lol. The problem is though, I remember reading in my book, something abot once the camera position is declared for the model, it cant change? I dont know maybe its the OpenGL Dreams I have been having, lol, j/k. There has to be a way to do it.

"I''''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''''Urden
Not true, an OpenGL camera can be rotated in exactly the same way as an OpenGL object. Just change the position of it and set it. It''ll rotate! =)

- Mike
"The important thing to remember when programming is: When you're 90% complete, there's still 50% more to go."
lol.. Thank you very much. I will try it soon, what it is, is I made a boxy robot to practice on, and I wanted to see if I could make him kick, and it was, pretty easy, but then I said to myself " Make him kick, stop, and rotate to make a matrix efect" I did it, it didnt look like the matrix, so I put the rotation in slow mo, and it just tooks longer to not look like the matrix, lol. So, later on today I will try rotating the camera. Thank you!

"I''''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''''Urden
No problem!
Sounds pretty cool too.
Being a newbie OpenGL''er like yourself I''d like to check it out when you''re done! =)

Send it to me in email if you wish.

- Mike

The important thing to remember when programming is: When you''re 90% complete, there''s still 50% more to go.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement