Sign in to follow this  

PS3 Homebrew

This topic is 2657 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm surprised that there isn't an active thread about the PS3 USB jailbreak device here (or I just failed spectacularly in finding it).

Since I actually have an Atmel USBKey lying around I've been tempted to try it, but haven't mostly since there seems little point to it until there's a development tool chain available. The possibility of being able to do some PS3 homebrew development is alluring though.

How about you though? Are you planning on trying to do some homebrew PS3 development or maybe already have some project in mind? Will you hold off performing any firmware updates as Sony is more than likely to release a patch sometime soon disabling this particular hack?

Personally, I bought my PS3 rather recently so I still have a large backlog of older games to go through, so I likely won't be forced to update in he near future by buying some new game. I also don't use PSN, so I imagine I could hold out updating for some time if I needed to.

And please, leave the inevitable piracy discussion to some other thread.

I don't see how it's much better than the previous Linux incarnation of PS3 homebrew. Aside from full access to the driver-less GPU it's not like you get anything more this time around. If anything I'd be tempted to re-install Linux and patch Nouveau for RSX and carry on since I don't really find homebrew on consoles all that mysterious and/or appealing anymore.

I've been tempted to play around with it, but I still have an unpatched PS3 that I can play with in the Other-OS mode. The interesting part for me about working on the ps3 has always been the Cell processor. If I had ever really wanted to, there is a RSX kernal patch iirc that lets you have some access to the RSX.

The big issue here is that Geohot hacked the PS3's hardware a ways back, and that got Sony mad. They overreacted and broke the OtherOS feature, pissing off the hackers who were content to just d*ck around in ps3-linux. Then everyone started going all out on the hacks. Honestly, there was a tone of software that just worked on PS3 linux for the people who knew it was there. For instance SNES emulators worked. It aparently wasn't interesting when it was "linux" but as soon as it became "homebrew" the masses started flocking. And maybe all that comes from the fact that now there is a chance you could probably play pirated PS3 games, where as noone cared about being able to run emulators and the like on there. But for anyone who wanted to, you coulda been hacking away on the PS3 since the day it came out.

This topic is 2657 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.