• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_Neverending_Loop

The Retro Renaissance Game Development Challenge!

65 posts in this topic

I don't really have much yet, so here's some of my reference material and a screenshot of a GUI test.

edit: Also, it appears that either my graphics card or XNA doesn't like any screen resolution below 320x240, so I can't make the graphics quite as low res as I should like without resorting to such foolery as drawing everything to a sprite, then stretching it over the whole screen. Drat.

[Edited by - Oberon_Command on September 10, 2010 5:52:42 PM]

@ Endurion: Touche Endurion Touche...

and for you oberon the resolution doesnt need to be that low, as long as you can look at the game and feel like it was made 10 years ago, you should be fine.

Updated screenshot, game still looks ugly but Ive worked more over the weekend
on the map system, and added collision detection along with object interaction.
The one weird grass tile actually used to be a stone figure that I destroyed!!!, and iam currently doing the same thing to his friend in this screen. As you can tell Iam leaving transparency/masking for the end lol.

With that said, I thought I would take the oppurtunity to ask all the participants what is the modern element they are thinking about adding.

For me my game is actually going to have network player (hopefully i know iama be cutting it close) but yea Id l-ve to hear what your going to use as your modern element.

The modern element for mine is the 3d part. It's basically a rip off of Fez. I've been waiting for that game but they keep on working on it. Fez forever :)

It's a very interesting mechanic but also needs very careful level design. You end up blocking a view too easy.

Wow that look great! cant wait to try it, I got to pick up my development speed to try to keep up looks like you got something really nice there, I like how it looks like your still playing a Commodor 64 but one that was made like 10 years ago that could handle 3D graphics. Nice job!

Wow, those screenshots look seriously amazing!

My game is a Bomberman clone, but with cats (o__0), and the modern element is going to be screen shader effects (think red screen with FPS games).
I don't have any art to share; still using placeholder graphics but the artist working with me has a few sprites. However, the game has a working loading, menu, and selection screen.
The map is kind of working. However, I realise I still have a lot of work to go.

Speaking of retro games, has anyone seen the 8-bit city maps? I think these are hilarious.

http://8bitcity.com/map?New%20York

[Edited by - jpetrie on September 21, 2010 5:24:43 PM]

Before it's too late, the perfect sound effect tool for this challenge: DrPetter's sfxr.

You can get it from here.

In other news I'm progressing fine. I've just got most of the menu, control binding and other settings stuff done, since that's eating lots of time and better done before the deadline looms.

Hope to see lots of fine entries!

Quote:
Original post by Endurion
Before it's too late, the perfect sound effect tool for this challenge: DrPetter's sfxr.

You can get it from here.

In other news I'm progressing fine. I've just got most of the menu, control binding and other settings stuff done, since that's eating lots of time and better done before the deadline looms.

Hope to see lots of fine entries!

Cool tool Endurion, and the guys website is pretty cool as well Thanks++!, yea I hope to see some fine entries too especially mines!, iama see how far i get in the next 3 days and see what if anything will i have to cut off from the features set to hand something in.

My entry is coming along well, although I'm starting to feel the deadline looming. I'm doing a vertical space shooter and the modern element is an online high score system.

I'll post a screenshot soon...

Can't wait for nice entries to play :)

If you just need some neat music or art, you can also take a look at TigSource. They had a nifty competition (Assembly) last year where the assets are under creative commons. The main board for it is here.

Just give the guys proper credit, there's quite a few pearls there.

Unfortunately, I've hit a great turn for the worse. :(

Both the amount of bugs I've experienced, Visual Studio not working for a whole week meaning I'll be lucky to get something decent finished on time.

And now it appears the Engine.cpp file, which has most of the working bits in it, has been deleted by Visual Studio AFAICS. Which...if I can't sort this, means I may have to pull out. :(
Worse still is that my artist friend has already done 95% of the sprites.

Quote:
Original post by The Communist Duck
Unfortunately, I've hit a great turn for the worse. :(

Both the amount of bugs I've experienced, Visual Studio not working for a whole week meaning I'll be lucky to get something decent finished on time.

And now it appears the Engine.cpp file, which has most of the working bits in it, has been deleted by Visual Studio AFAICS. Which...if I can't sort this, means I may have to pull out. :(
Worse still is that my artist friend has already done 95% of the sprites.

Dont give up perserverence my friend!, you never know maybe you can finish it all off.

Hey just wondering would anyone be so kind to help me out do an alpha test? possibly today or tomorrow the help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Original post by Endurion
It's a trap! It's probably addictive and we can't finish our entries ;)

I'd volunteer to test.

Pffffttt I wish!, this game is about as fun as watching paint dry lol, Iama PM you with more details Iam hoping to have something for tomorrow night.

Crunch time that it is!, I think Ill take this time to inform everyone on how to submit, basically what I have in mind is that Iam going to set up a FTP on one of my servers, come sunday night Ill give details on how to log onto said FTP, I will also give the option to email me your entry.

As I get the entries I will check them on some of my virtual machines to be sure there is nothing malicious about them (Iam pretty sure I shouldnt even be worried about that tho with you people :-D ) after which Iam going to try to put together a quick hack and slash webpage, with the entry details.

Since all this probably will not get done any earlier then wednesday Iam going to allow for a 2 to 3 day grace period where you can submit your entry. This should allow for any last minute tweaks, so start testing your code as much as you can now!.

Further details will be made public sunday night.

Quote:
Original post by The_Neverending_Loop
Since all this probably will not get done any earlier then wednesday Iam going to allow for a 2 to 3 day grace period where you can submit your entry.

Does this mean that the deadline is extended? If so, I might spend this Sunday's afternoon to create a little game. I don't expect much (if at all), but to loosely quote Pierre de Coubertin: taking part > winning. :)