Multiple DirectX SDK installations in XP?

Started by
2 comments, last by Wysardry 13 years, 7 months ago
Is there an easy way to install several versions of the DirectX 9 SDK for use with Visual Studio 2008 Express in Windows XP?

I have the August 2007 version of the SDK installed and working (for one game engine) already and would like to install a more recent version separately (for another game engine).

I have more than one user login, if that will help.
Advertisement
DXSDK_DIR can be set per-user. Instead of launching Visual Studio directly, you can launch it from a batch file which will read like:
set INCLUDE=%DXSDK_DIR%\include;%INCLUDE%set LIB=%DXSDK_DIR%\lib\x86;%LIB%start "Visual Studio 2008" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /useenv

Or you can have several batch files, each with their own definition of SXSDK_DIR, and then don't need multi-user setups.
--------Roderick
Generally it's OK to install a later version when you already have an earlier one installed. Things might get a little messed up if you try to use utils like the earlier control panel with your later runtimes though, but that would happen if your runtime version was newer than your control panel version anyway.

If it really bothers you, you could just extract the headers and libs from the SDK installer (using 7-zip, for example) and point your project at those. Another, cleaner, way of handling it might be with VMs (VMWare Player does very nice hardware accelerated graphics even on machines that don't have hardware virtualisation). Lots of options.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Thanks. I think I'll set the DXSDK_DIR environment variable on a per user basis, as it's easier to keep everything separate on different desktops anyway.

The main reason I need more than one SDK installed is so that one engine can still use DirectX 8 libraries and the other is able to use newer ones.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement