declaring a variable inside or outside a loop - why the difference?

Started by
5 comments, last by fnm 13 years, 7 months ago
I'm trying to optimize my raytracer, so I started to measure the execution time of my methods. I've noticed that there's a big difference in execution time depending on where do I declare the variables. Take a look:

Vector v(1, 1, 1);for(unsigned int i=0;i<100000000;i++){	v.normalize();}

This took 3.3426 sec to execute.

for(unsigned int i=0;i<100000000;i++){	Vector v(1, 1, 1);	v.normalize();}

This took 0.0000014 sec to execute.

Where this difference come from?
Advertisement
In the first code, the vector is visible from outside the for loop, and it may generate the code for the loop to ensure the state of the vector after the loop. In the second code, the vector is not visible outside the loop, and if the normalize function has no side effects (most likely the case), the compiler can remove it entirely.

The second code is effectively eliminated, because there are no observable change in the program.
Was that in Release mode, with optimisations enabled? I would expect a competent compiler would optimise away the loop.
Yes, release mode, using visual c++ 2008.
The normalize function gets called, if I put there some debug message I see it printed.
No, normalize is not getting called in the latter case during your benchmark. Otherwise you have a CPU that can normalize ~7000 vectors per clock cycle, which I think is a little bit beyond the capability of modern day computers.

If you put the debug in it probably recompiles it with the loop, but that's not what you're benchmarking.
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
Quote:Original post by fnm
Yes, release mode, using visual c++ 2008.
The normalize function gets called, if I put there some debug message I see it printed.

This is a side effect, meaning that the compiler will no longer optimise away the loop. To see what is going on in the original case, you'll have to examine the assembler output.
I got it, thanks for the answers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement