XNA challenge 2: "Could not resolve this reference."

Started by
2 comments, last by serratemplar 13 years, 6 months ago
Happy to say I found some up-to-date tutorials that are detailed and comprehensible, here. I read through the blog and decided to jump in with #4 as it's about where I'm at now.

I cannot get the project to compile, due to the following error:

Quote:
Error 7 Cannot find importer "EffectImporter".

More telling are the proceeding warnings, all of which refer to the Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline, and have the following format:

Quote:
Warning 1 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.EffectImporter, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6d5c3888ef60e27d, processorArchitecture=MSIL". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.

I already dropped and re-added all of the references to the Microsoft.Xna.Framework stuff, and noticed that there doesn't seem to be a Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content, let alone a .Pipeline. I tried bumping the game profile up to HiDef, thinking possibly the pipeline effect loader (this demo uses a custom effect instead of the canned effects) only worked in HiDef or something, but also to no avail.

Anybody have any experience with this?
Advertisement
*bump*

No responses on this and it still haunts me; where is this .Content.Pipeline? Why does it not appear in the reference list? Does anybody have any familiarity with this issue at all? Has anyone else ever seen it before? How did you resolve it (short of restarting the entire project as I did)?

This might be due to the 'client profile' concept as detailed here. If this is indeed the issue: it's not a bug, it's a feature [wink]
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
I actually just found the solution to this issue. The References under Concent (weird, as it's "Content.Pipeline"....I'm embarrassed) are where you need to reinclude them.

I say re-include as they were already there, with little yellow warning exclamation points on them, just as the framework references. They needed to be removed from the project then re-added.

Why you might ask? I suspect these people built their code in the beta version of XNA GS, and failed to mention. <_< Well, I found the secret; hopefully no one else is plagued by this little annoyance.

Feature indeed. ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement