Sign in to follow this  

How similar to another game can a concept be before being considered infringment?

This topic is 2640 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

To preface this, I’m a novice XNA developer and I’ve had this simple game idea I’ve been working on. The game concept is similar to Breakout/Arkanoid in that you have a ball, a paddle and a bunch of breakable bricks, but that is where the similarity will end. Aside from those common elements, my game introduces new mechanics and features to the game play not found in the previously mentioned titles that I’m hoping would significantly differentiate it from any existing work.

I just wanted to know, how close can a game concept be to an existing game before it could be considered infringing on that game owners intellectual property rights? I know any opinions provided here are not to be regarded as legal advice.

Thank you in advance for any replies or information on this topic.

There've been dozens before you asking this exact same question. You can read those threads. Also you should read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/faq61.htm
And this forum offers the option of seeing older threads than the ones you see here by default.

Thank you for the quick reply. I was actually reading that very same article earlier, (Though I’ll be reading most of those links at the bottom for the rest of the night.)

Just to clarify, I wasn’t asking to know “how much I can get away with?” I know that IP infringement is really serious and was curious as to at what point a concept crosses that line. Hitting a ball with a paddle into an object seemed to generic a process to be patented, but wanted to know what others thought about the topic.

Quote:
Original post by Jalapeno23
I know that IP infringement is really serious and was curious as to at what point a concept crosses that line.

Yes, I know. As I said: this has been asked and answered many times. The answer has always been, and still is: "there is no easy answer to that oft-asked easy question." Sorry! Read those previous answers, and those other links, but that's still the answer you're going to find.

This topic is 2640 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.