Sign in to follow this  

Need an Idea?

This topic is 2634 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need an idea for a fun, addicting, and pretty simple 3D game. Such as Minecraft. It's fun, you can play for hours, and pretty much all you do is place and delete blocks, yet the game has over 300K users.

For some reason I have no ideas at all. :c

Thanks for the help :)

Anything that we give to you in this forum is not your own idea. Either take sunandshadow's comment and add a twist of your own to that idea, or don't ask someone else for ideas since you want your own idea. All new ideas are just twist added upon old ideas. Remember that game mechanics have only a certain level of copyright because it is too useful just like fashion. Thus only art, animations, and story are fully protected.

If I could think of a game which was simple, fun and had the potential to make as much money as Minecraft, I'd be developing it myself! =)

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything. Thats why I'm skint.

That's life. I'd better keep brainstorming for that cool game idea.

What sort of game, like Minecraft, would YOU consider fun and endless to play on hours? Take that, think about it, write about it, consider it, then examine why anyone else might call it fun to play. If you get yourself a solid answer then booyah, and idea has been formed out of molten thought.

I'm in the process of this myself. I had a fleeting thought, realized on its own it would be quite boring, and over the course of a few weeks I've got something down that just might actually be fun to someone else. Sure it takes awhile, but its yours and you will love that feeling, just don't go blurting it out to everyone :P

JDDeal

Quote:
Original post by Pew446
Hmm... But wouldn't that be a little bit like copyright? I was thinking something I could call my own.

Original ideas don't come out of thin air. Everything is inspired by other things. One of the essential traits of a designer is the ability to take a plain idea and twist it around until it's original enough to surprise your audience, much less not get you sued.

Quote:
Original post by Pew446
I need an idea for a fun, addicting, and pretty simple 3D game. Such as Minecraft... fun, you can play for hours, and pretty much all you do is place and delete blocks, yet the game has over 300K users.

Why, Pew? WHY do you "need" this?

You also seem quite inspired just with minecraft and how its providing its gameplay and fun/addicting factors. You could look into writing a mod for it. Although the built in and supported capability won't be around for awhile, it is on Notchs todo list and quite possible already.

The guy who created Minecraft was inspired by Dwarf Fortress and Infiniminer. Also Minecraft has been in development since like early/mid 2009 I think, so it wasn't exactly a quick and easy game to make.

If you need ideas, play lots of games... watch movies, go for a walk... think of simple games that already exist and why they are fun. (checkers, dodgeball, tetris, basketball, ping pong, match 3 games, etc...) What makes those games fun?

Just start jotting down ideas for games and keep them to a short sentence each. So for example:

1. Capture monsters and battle them against people

2. Defend your tower from incoming enemies

3. Survive against monsters at night by building shelter

All of these ideas exist in games already. 1. Pokemon, 2. Tower Defense games, 3. Minecraft

The difference is that these games were all developed further to an extent... To what extent is up to you... For example, "Capture monsters and battle them against people" could be as simple as that... no storyline, no battling gym leaders, no evolving, etc... Just catching monsters and battling them. That game could be fun all by itself, but they decided to add a lot more to it to make it even more interesting.

Same with Minecraft... at first it was just building and destroying blocks... but the guy who made it knew it would get boring so now he's working on the Alpha version, which introduced fighting monsters and surviving. He also has plans to work in a storyline/plot or some type of endgame... so it's going to become something entirely different in the end.

It's all about taking a very simple idea and then either polishing that idea to a nice shine, or adding more ideas on top of that one to create something more detailed and not so basic.

But most importantly, it's about actually executing the idea well. An idea is worthless by itself.

What makes Minecraft so good? I was introduced to it during the server meltdown following Penny Arcade's plug, and introduced my neighbor to it, and we both adore the game, discussing plans and ideas at length. For me, the appeal is very much like Dwarf Fortress's appeal: The challenge of using an open-ended toolset to achieve self-regulated goals in the face of in-game adversity. The difficulty scales elegantly with my ambition.

At the same time, many elements of the game are tedious, agonizing or clumsy, and I often find that the same challenges that make achievements worthwhile and rewarding make the game tiresome and inconvenient. Spending hours laboriously constructing and demolishing scaffolding to place torches that optimally illuminate the soaring expanse of a natural cavern, then carving and constructing an edifice that complements the natural contours, then realizing that there's really nothing to be done with the damn thing except to post screenshots of it on the forum, is a roller-coaster and wildly varying costs and benefits. Using mods and unlimited resources to make golden pyramids and diamond monoliths and a Mount Rushmore featuring the dudes from Left4Dead is novel, but it eliminates the difficulty of fending off zombies and skeletons and creepers and finding enough pig meat to keep yourself alive. The "end-game", such that it is, is entirely devoid of content, since there are no large-scale objectives that you can work toward that are acknowledged by the game itself. Navigation is a nightmare, AI is rudimentary, fluid dynamics are laughable, the game is very obviously in alpha.

I really don't think of Minecraft as a game, per se. It's more of a toy, a sandbox in the truest sense, where you make your own truck noises and imagine that the spires and battlements and sub-dungeons of your one-man civilization are good for something. There's more to come, and perhaps subsequent versions will offer more tools to lend value to the player's actions, but for now there's very little there.

So how about you take that formula for a simple, repetitive, non-linear game and make yourself a system with similar properties? Make a space colonization game similar to Spore's space stage, where you travel from place to place, exploiting resources, terraforming and colonizing worlds. Let players move the stars around or construct whole planets, then arrange them such that they form a giant space-penis. Maybe a sort of RTS game where the enemy invasions scale with the scope and wealth of your base, but which has no real "victory conditions", allowing players to conquer resource nodes and use those assets to construct defenses, and then spend surplus making hyper-sophisticated palaces and temples in the secured territory. Since feats of engineering play a central role in high-level play for both Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress, the ability to putter with automation, highly efficient designs and wildly flamboyant mega-projects should be available to players.

I'm really excited about this sort of game, and I think the next decade or so will reward us with novel, powerful and (hopefully) polished examples of the pure sandbox genre. I sometimes have dreams about Dwarf Fortress 3.0, the online version with slick graphics and an intuitive interface and the ability to build a fort that interacts with other people's forts and deal with single-character adventurer players and advance the history of the world. I'm excited to think what will happen when the gameplay, user-created goal structure and online forum community are merged into a single product that everyone can share and appreciate.

Quote:
I'm really excited about this sort of game, and I think the next decade or so will reward us with novel, powerful and (hopefully) polished examples of the pure sandbox genre. I sometimes have dreams about Dwarf Fortress 3.0, the online version with slick graphics and an intuitive interface and the ability to build a fort that interacts with other people's forts and deal with single-character adventurer players and advance the history of the world. I'm excited to think what will happen when the gameplay, user-created goal structure and online forum community are merged into a single product that everyone can share and appreciate.

Check out OpenSim. It is based on Second life, but it is an open source version. Being open source you can write your own modules for it to do pretty much what you want (so long as you know how to do it in code :) ).

I think it also could be a good prototyping system for 3D games as well (very early prototypes and such), so I think it is a good resource for game developemnt.

@Pew446:
When I am trying to come up with some ideas I use "restrictions" to helpl me. I will give my self some sort of limitation or a specific thing to include and then work from that. To come up with ideas from nothing is pretty hard.

So start with some form of restriction (usually 3 to 6 is enough).

This topic is 2634 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.