Need an Idea?

Started by
14 comments, last by Edtharan 13 years, 6 months ago
I need an idea for a fun, addicting, and pretty simple 3D game. Such as Minecraft. It's fun, you can play for hours, and pretty much all you do is place and delete blocks, yet the game has over 300K users.

For some reason I have no ideas at all. :c

Thanks for the help :)
Advertisement
You know the game of life, the one where self-perpetuating shapes travel across the screen and crash into one another? How about a 3D version of that.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Hmm... But wouldn't that be a little bit like copyright? I was thinking something I could call my own.
Anything that we give to you in this forum is not your own idea. Either take sunandshadow's comment and add a twist of your own to that idea, or don't ask someone else for ideas since you want your own idea. All new ideas are just twist added upon old ideas. Remember that game mechanics have only a certain level of copyright because it is too useful just like fashion. Thus only art, animations, and story are fully protected.
I use QueryPerformanceFrequency(), and the result averages to 8 nanoseconds or about 13 cpu cycles (1.66GHz CPU). Is that reasonable?
I though that the assembly equivalent to accessing unaligned data would be something similar to this order:

• move
  • mask
  • shift
  • move
  • mask
  • shift
  • or

So it seems reasonable to say that it takes 14 cycles for unaligned data since we'll have to do the series of instructions once to access and once to assign?
WHY do you "need an idea for a fun, addicting, and pretty simple 3D game. Such as Minecraft" that's "fun, you can play for hours, and pretty much all you do is place and delete blocks"?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Minecraft is about a lot more then just placing and deleting blocks.
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.
If I could think of a game which was simple, fun and had the potential to make as much money as Minecraft, I'd be developing it myself! =)

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything. Thats why I'm skint.

That's life. I'd better keep brainstorming for that cool game idea.

hey guys i need some1 to make me a game better than WoW for free itll be great

guys i got amazing idea gunna make me millions who wants to make it for me

ectect
What sort of game, like Minecraft, would YOU consider fun and endless to play on hours? Take that, think about it, write about it, consider it, then examine why anyone else might call it fun to play. If you get yourself a solid answer then booyah, and idea has been formed out of molten thought.

I'm in the process of this myself. I had a fleeting thought, realized on its own it would be quite boring, and over the course of a few weeks I've got something down that just might actually be fun to someone else. Sure it takes awhile, but its yours and you will love that feeling, just don't go blurting it out to everyone :P

JDDeal
Quote:Original post by Pew446
Hmm... But wouldn't that be a little bit like copyright? I was thinking something I could call my own.

Original ideas don't come out of thin air. Everything is inspired by other things. One of the essential traits of a designer is the ability to take a plain idea and twist it around until it's original enough to surprise your audience, much less not get you sued.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement