Game engine

Started by
7 comments, last by FullbashReturns 13 years, 6 months ago
Hi,

I'm writing my own game engine.
This is what I have already:
- physics engine: constraint-based simulation (joints, contacts with friction, stacking)
- collision detection
- graphics engine using DirectX9: shadow mapping, per pixel lighting, SSAO (screen-space ambient occlusion)

Here is a short film:

Please tell me what you think about it, I'd appreciate your comments and suggestions. Maybe I'll get down to writing a game soon.
Advertisement
The physics look very impressive - congrats!
Quote:Original post by miloszmaki
Hi,

I'm writing my own game engine.
This is what I have already:
- physics engine: constraint-based simulation (joints, contacts with friction, stacking)
- collision detection
- graphics engine using DirectX9: shadow mapping, per pixel lighting, SSAO (screen-space ambient occlusion)

Here is a short film:

Please tell me what you think about it, I'd appreciate your comments and suggestions. Maybe I'll get down to writing a game soon.

What physics API did you use?
Speaking as someone who is learning, i.e. not an expert opinion, I would say I am very impressed! The physics and the lighting look superb to me, though one downside I could see is the low framerate.

My only suggestion atm is to try and triple that framerate somehow. Easier said than done of course.

[Edited by - forsandifs on September 27, 2010 3:36:56 AM]
Do you use any threading for the physics?
Thanks for your opinions!
Quote:Original post by SteveDeFacto
What physics API did you use?

It's my own physics engine.
Quote:Original post by forsandifs
My only suggestion atm is to try and triple that framerate somehow. Easier said than done of course.

When it comes to low framerate it's caused by few things. Firstly, Fraps reduces it to max 25fps (without Fraps framerate is about 40-60). Secondly, balls are complex ~1280 triangles per ball (this "snake" contains 100 balls). Moreover, SSAO is very expensive effect, especially that it uses both depth and normal map. Shadow mapping lowers framerate too.
I want to add environment mapping soon, which also can cut some fps.
Quote:Original post by bythos
Do you use any threading for the physics?

The physics and graphics are separated. Physics engine has got fixed timestep (0.01 s = 100 Hz). Although, there is not any other thread. I'm using something like this:
double accumulator = 0.0;const double dt = 0.01;while (!quit){   accumulator += getDeltaTime();   while (accumulator >= dt)   {       StepSimulation(dt); // Integrate simulation       accumulator -= dt;   }   Render(); // Draw stuff}
Quote:(without Fraps framerate is about 40-60)

Yes, 40 - 60 is good. What are your system specs?

Any idea what type of game you'll make with it?
Quote:What are your system specs?

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz
2GB RAM
SAPPHIRE Radeon X1550 256MB
Quote:Any idea what type of game you'll make with it?

I want to make a car game, which allows driving wherever you want: on the streets, as well as off-road. Maybe something like GTA (it would be hard but challenging to model and animate humans, especially ragdolls with muscles like in GTA IV).
Wow I love this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement