Sign in to follow this  
The_curious_case

Please Help - stylistic console game requirements

hey guys,

im doing a project for university and i was told people on these hobbyist forums might be able to help me with some information.

essentially the project is to make a games console. to keep costs down i want to have games done stylistically rather than realistically (i.e. WII fit or N64 mario).

keeping in mind we are trying to keep costs as low as possible, what sort of system would you need (cpu, ram, graphics etc.) in order to run games of this type.

i was told a simple machine with 200mhz and 64mb of ram would run n64 graphics but im not sure how true this is.

what sort of hardware would you need to run something nicer, like wii fit type graphics?

thanks in advance,
Ryan

You could probably just look at a Wii or N64 to figure out what kind of hardware they use.

This is what Wikipedia says of the Wii:

Quote:

* CPU: PowerPC-based "Broadway" processor, made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, reportedly† clocked at 729 MHz[113]
* GPU: ATI "Hollywood" GPU made with a 90 nm CMOS process,[114] reportedly† clocked at 243 MHz[113]
* Starlet, reportedly comes with a NEC ARM9 core[115] operating up to 470 MHz equipped with a 32-bit instruction set and 128K of cache[116]

Memory:

* 88 MB main memory (24 MB "internal" 1T-SRAM integrated into graphics package, 64 MB "external" GDDR3 SDRAM)[117]
* 3 MB embedded GPU texture memory and framebuffer.

and the N64:
Quote:

# MIPS R4300i 64-bit RISC CPU running at 93.75MHz (1.5X bus multiplier)
# RCP (Reality CoProcessor), a custom vector processor developed by Nintendo and SGI, running at 62.5MHz
# 4 megabytes of parity Rambus RDRAM (expandable to 8MB)

But seriously, are you actually planning to build something like this? You do realize it takes hundreds of professional engineers years to design a modern game console. I suggest you seriously re-evaluate your capabilities unless this is some kind of hypothetical business project.

Maybe something like X Game Station would get you on your feet?
Or the arduino microprocessor?

The spec for a "200mhz + 64Mb ram" machine isn't too far off. Put a decent graphics card and sound card with that and it'd be good to go.
For instance, the min specs for Starcraft 1 was a Pentium 90Mhz with 16Mb of ram. The campaign worked fine on my 486Dx2 66Mhz with 16Mb of ram. (mario 64 came out 2 years before that). Its all about picking a low spec, then figuring out what you can do with those limits. Its usually a LOT more than you think.