I've never made an application with standard windows UI...

Started by
9 comments, last by JackOfAllTrades 13 years, 6 months ago
I'm using C++ express and I've made a few games but never an application with standard windows controls. I know I could call the commands to create the window and add all the controls to it but I think there is probably a better way. I know there is a dialog box resource that can be used but I'm using VC express and cannot edit resources. How should I go about this?
Advertisement
Use Qt. Alternatives are Gtk+ and wxWidgets. Qt has many advantages, it is under heavy development, it comes with very nice tools among them an IDE with GUI designer and it has excellent documentations.
Do you want to go cross platform? Use Qt.

If you just want to make a windows app, use .Net
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Quote:Original post by ChaosEngine

I definitely do not need cross platform support and when you say to use .Net do you mean Visual Basic and C#?
Quote:Original post by SteveDeFacto
Quote:Original post by ChaosEngine

I definitely do not need cross platform support and when you say to use .Net do you mean Visual Basic and C#?

Or C++ or IronPython or ...

Windows Forms or Windows Presentation Foundation:

http://windowsclient.net/default.aspx

You can use C#, C++, or VB, and the MS documention, which is actually quite good these days, shows code samples in all languages. For example ComboBox which is a pretty common control:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.combobox.aspx

The easiest way to learn is just follow some tutorials where you create a new Windows Form in VS Express and start dragging controls from the toolbox.

http://windowsclient.net/learn/

It is quite easy really. Also just google search for "Windows Forms Tutorial" or "WPF Tutorial" and you'll find a ton of them.

http://www.wpftutorial.net/HelloWPF.html
I probably should tell you all what I'm working on. I'm making a game engine editor and the engine is written in C++ but I am actually more experienced with Visual Basic though it has been awhile since I used it. I also have a good amount of knowledge in C#.

I was thinking about using one of the two since It would probably be the fastest way to get the editor done but something about the thought of using two different languages for different parts of the engine does not feel right to me.

What do all of you think would be the best thing to do?
something about the thought of using two different languages for different parts of the engine does not feel right to me.

There's nothing wrong with using multiple languages. Most engines are going to do just that. Most of my engine is C++, with Lua and Python thrown in for scripting and tools.

Since you're just targeting Windows, my recommendation is to go with .Net and C#.

Win32 is a pain in the ass. You have to read though tons of documentation and feel it out as you go for every little thing you want your windows to do. There's no simple way to do anything. You have to keep filling out giant, obscure, structures, and sending them to functions that have 128 parameters each.

C# with Windows Forms is dead simple. You just draw out your forms in the editor, and then compile. Anything you want your windows or dialogs to do is a simple as filling in the auto-generated event handlers with your custom code.

I probably should tell you all what I'm working on. I'm making a game engine editor and the engine is written in C++ but I am actually more experienced with Visual Basic though it has been awhile since I used it. I also have a good amount of knowledge in C#.

I was thinking about using one of the two since It would probably be the fastest way to get the editor done but something about the thought of using two different languages for different parts of the engine does not feel right to me.

What do all of you think would be the best thing to do?

You can leave your game engine in C++ and interact with it using C++/CLI. You can then write your GUI using C#/VB.net.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement