Sign in to follow this  
Alpha_ProgDes

Why VS C++ 20xx Express over Code::Blocks?

Aside from win32 programming and directdraw, why pick one over the other? I actually like Code::Blocks very light, quick start-up, plugins for a variety of things. Too bad the site is down though... [sad]

Whenever I evaluate another IDE, it always comes down to the debugger. So far, nobody has been able to beat the experience of VS's debugger for me for 90% of my debugging tasks (the other 10% I do in WinDbg, so it's irrelevant what IDE I use).

Plugins and external tool support are a close second -- not the fact that other IDEs have them, but the actual plugins themselves. I am not a huge fan of customizing my work environment, but there are a handful of plugins and keyboard customizations I find incredibly useful (ViEmu, Codekana, and some new ones for VS 2010 like the Code Map) that I haven't seen duplicated to my satisfaction by extension developers for other IDEs.

Admittedly, however, the plugin issue can be a problem for people who use VS's express edition.

VS starts pretty fast for me. Not the snappiest, but I only launch it a few times a day and never quit it (it does take forever to quit for me).

Whenever I need a lighter-weight IDE or I'm on a platform where VS isn't an optional (and Xcode isn't a requirement for at least some aspect of the pipeline), I use vi + NERDTree.

Quote:
Original post by jpetrie
Whenever I evaluate another IDE, it always comes down to the debugger. So far, nobody has been able to beat the experience of VS's debugger for me for 90% of my debugging tasks (the other 10% I do in WinDbg, so it's irrelevant what IDE I use).

Although c::b debugger used to be unusable, the 10.04 version is actual better than VS's imho.