Sign in to follow this  
Alpha_ProgDes

Why VS C++ 20xx Express over Code::Blocks?

Recommended Posts

Aside from win32 programming and directdraw, why pick one over the other? I actually like Code::Blocks very light, quick start-up, plugins for a variety of things. Too bad the site is down though... [sad]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whenever I evaluate another IDE, it always comes down to the debugger. So far, nobody has been able to beat the experience of VS's debugger for me for 90% of my debugging tasks (the other 10% I do in WinDbg, so it's irrelevant what IDE I use).

Plugins and external tool support are a close second -- not the fact that other IDEs have them, but the actual plugins themselves. I am not a huge fan of customizing my work environment, but there are a handful of plugins and keyboard customizations I find incredibly useful (ViEmu, Codekana, and some new ones for VS 2010 like the Code Map) that I haven't seen duplicated to my satisfaction by extension developers for other IDEs.

Admittedly, however, the plugin issue can be a problem for people who use VS's express edition.

VS starts pretty fast for me. Not the snappiest, but I only launch it a few times a day and never quit it (it does take forever to quit for me).

Whenever I need a lighter-weight IDE or I'm on a platform where VS isn't an optional (and Xcode isn't a requirement for at least some aspect of the pipeline), I use vi + NERDTree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by jpetrie
Whenever I evaluate another IDE, it always comes down to the debugger. So far, nobody has been able to beat the experience of VS's debugger for me for 90% of my debugging tasks (the other 10% I do in WinDbg, so it's irrelevant what IDE I use).


Although c::b debugger used to be unusable, the 10.04 version is actual better than VS's imho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this