Sign in to follow this  

2D engine suggestions for starter company

This topic is 2634 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First off, Sorry if this is not the right place to post this.

OK, I worked in the QA department at Realtime Worlds (some of you will be aware of what happened to that company) and myself and 4 others with various disciplines (I'm a coder) are looking to apply to one of the University's here in Dundee for a prototyping grant - money to make a game prototype with the hope of finding a publisher / turn what we did into a sustainable company.

We are just in the preliminary stages of discussion at the moment, and I am looking into what engine would be best to use (not necessarily a free one). We will have a better Idea of exactly what we need out of the engine after meeting up again on Wednesday.

I wont go into too much detail about the game. The main things we are looking for is a good, versatile 2D engine, that allows the game to be published to a number of platforms relatively easily, primarily PC and web browser - the possibility of others would be a bonus.

Another thing is, due to the conditions of the grant, we need to take on a number of students to 'work' for us, and as the other members of the group don't have a huge amount of programming experience, at least a couple of the students we take on will be coders. This means that it has to be pretty straight forward to pick up.

I have looked at Torque and Unity, and was leaning towards the 2D version of Torque so far, although Unity does seem very powerful but maybe a bit overkill for our project.

I was wondering what other engines it would be a good idea to look into, and if anyone has any thoughts/experience on the ones already mentioned.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Cheers, Ian

This topic is 2634 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.