Sign in to follow this  
Lord Uber Dowzen

Selecting the tools and engines for a game concept

Today I came up with an idea for a game and, because I liked this concept so much, I decided that it's not going to end up in the steaming pile of other concepts that have not come to fruition. So I need a little bit of help.

I don't want to give the title or explain too much about the concept (I'll just say the acronym of the title is L:TDHBOHLP) but I just want some general advice on a good engine. From the plan I've sketched up I'm going to need an engine which allows free rotation of sprites (so by the degree rather than in lots of 90) and has to be fairly easy to use (as little programming as possible would be good as this is a part time project in between study). I've learnt BASIC and I started to learn C++ a few months back. I also would like a physics engine. And, in the rare event that the game is actually any good, I'd like it to be possible to integrate Steam (yes I know how unlikely it is to get to that point).

Any suggestions? I've considered Game Maker but I'm not sure it'll support the rotation I want to do or the physics.

I think it's going to be difficult to get away from looking like every other game unless you do some of your own programming (whether it's you or a developer on your team). For this, I would suggest C# and XNA, while you won't be able to develop for Steam, you will be able to develop for the Xbox 360.

I would suggest posting in the Help Wanted forums looking for a technical designer or a lead programmer. Typically, most programmers know of different 'flavors' of programming languages and tools and having someone on your team that can suggest one direction or another would be an invaluable resource.

Good luck!

Quote:
Original post by Lord Uber Dowzen
(I'll just say the acronym of the title is L:TDHBOHLP)
<offtopic>
Just from the acronym, I can tell that you should shorten the name. Successful indie titles tend to have short names such as Braid, Gish, Aaaaa!, World of Goo, or names that are catchy and easy to remember, such as I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1N IT!!!1. Also, colons are for AAA titles and film sequels [smile]
</offtopic>
Quote:
From the plan I've sketched up I'm going to need an engine which allows free rotation of sprites (so by the degree rather than in lots of 90) and has to be fairly easy to use (as little programming as possible would be good as this is a part time project in between study). I've learnt BASIC and I started to learn C++ a few months back. I also would like a physics engine.
I would suggest you look at LÖVE. Solid sprite support, integrated physics engine, all scripted using Lua (which is a pretty soft entry into programming), and decent documentation as well.

Thanks for all the replies!

On the topic of the name, my thinking behind it was that it might make the game stand out a little bit, I may change it after I've put some more thought into it. Although wasn't Aaaaa! actually called AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! – A Reckless Disregard for Gravity (actually point taken it took me ages to find the name of that game).

I like the look of Love. I'll do some investigationing.