Starting Game development?

Started by
28 comments, last by OriginUnknown 13 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by OriginUnknown...That would be like saying instead of directly learning Russian, you should learn french first, they are completely different languages and french would be totally irrelevant to learning Russian...

Wrong example ;-) Russian is a slavic language, french a romanic language. If you take spanish and italian instead, you see that it is in fact a lot easier to learn one of them if you know the other already. Or if your mother tongue is a west germanic language like english is, than german should be faster to learn for you than russian.

But back to topic. Programming has nothing to do with the language you choose. The language is just an interface between your thoughts and the computer, and you should choose the language which both sides of the interface understand. A computer understands all 'programming' languages, thats the purpose of a programming language. So you are free to choose the one you are most familar with.
And as a beginner that is none. So you should choose an easy to learn language (which Python or any other typeless scripting language is) and get an understanding of programming concepts (independent of language!).

At some point in the future you are in need of a special ability you can't express with your current language or another language is better suited for the specific problem you face. Then you switch it. Sure, it needs some time to know the quirks of each language environment, but that won't stop you if you know how to program (independent of a language)!

Quote:Original post by OriginUnknown...I would like to learn something with future potential in terms of a job etc...

Every language has it's utilisation, but look for the most used ones in the bussines world to get the most options when looking for a job. Java, C#, C++ should give you more options than Modula, Haskell, Pascal, ...

Btw, language alone doesn't cut it. The libraries you worked with are more important when applying for a job! Example for game programming: You can talk to DirectX and OpenGL through both, Python and C++. But the language choice itself doesn't help you in applying for an OpenGL programmers position when you are used to DirectX.
Advertisement
C++ is the most common language you would find in professional game development, but they also use things like Python, C#, and other higher level languages (meaning they're further abstracted from directly messing with memory and that kind of stuff) to create tools, scripting, or smaller games. C++ can be confusing for a beginner once you start using things like pointers, so C#, Java, or Python would probably be good to start with. And you'll want to learn math. Lots of math ;)
Also wanted to add that a good way to know what you would need to know is to look at help wanted ads on developers websites or even email them and ask.
Well I don't need to look anything in terms of a job right now as it would only be a hobby at this point in time where I still have 3 years of school left(Age 15) and still don't if I want to enter software development or game development. I haven't really looked too much into python other than thought's I've heard from others. I've mainly looked at C++ because it's currently the dominating force in the gaming industry(Debatable) and to my knowledge there's much more documentation on it. For example how would I start into learning python?
Quote:Original post by OriginUnknown
Well I don't need to look anything in terms of a job right now as it would only be a hobby at this point in time where I still have 3 years of school left(Age 15) and still don't if I want to enter software development or game development. I haven't really looked too much into python other than thought's I've heard from others. I've mainly looked at C++ because it's currently the dominating force in the gaming industry(Debatable) and to my knowledge there's much more documentation on it. For example how would I start into learning python?

It is true that right now C++ is THE language in game industry. However, there are many other languages involved too, increasinly in future. Python is a good choice in a sense that it allows you to focus on the task and logic of the program more than say, C or C++, which are much more "mechanical" languages in a sense that you need years of experience to unveil all the potential. With Python it is much easier.

You'll learn Python exactly the same way you'll learn any other programming language - by reading a book with a focus and toying with the new concepts it teaches you. There is no other way around it. Yes, there are tutorials on the net etc. but from personal experience I can say that you're better off just spending some time with a decent book. First, you'll learn faster, second, you'll learn right, third, it's much easier to follow and understand text from a physical book than from a website. Trust me on this.

However, note that there is much, much more to software development than knowing the language. Actually, as said before, the language is just a tool(or interface) for you to express your ideas and thoughts to the computer. So knowing the language is essential. But what is more important is to know how to think. That will come with experience. Anyway, if you're anything like many of us - like/love programming and experimenting with different things and ideas, you'll enjoy the journey. ;)
Quote:Original post by Calmatory
Quote:Original post by OriginUnknown

It is true that right now C++ is THE language in game industry. However, there are many other languages involved too, increasinly in future. Python is a good choice in a sense that it allows you to focus on the task and logic of the program more than say, C or C++, which are much more "mechanical" languages in a sense that you need years of experience to unveil all the potential. With Python it is much easier.

You'll learn Python exactly the same way you'll learn any other programming language - by reading a book with a focus and toying with the new concepts it teaches you. There is no other way around it. Yes, there are tutorials on the net etc. but from personal experience I can say that you're better off just spending some time with a decent book. First, you'll learn faster, second, you'll learn right, third, it's much easier to follow and understand text from a physical book than from a website. Trust me on this.

However, note that there is much, much more to software development than knowing the language. Actually, as said before, the language is just a tool(or interface) for you to express your ideas and thoughts to the computer. So knowing the language is essential. But what is more important is to know how to think. That will come with experience. Anyway, if you're anything like many of us - like/love programming and experimenting with different things and ideas, you'll enjoy the journey. ;)

I know I would need to read a book, I just don't know which book to read!
This might be worth a look: http://diveintopython.org/ - even though it is somewhat old, it should contain valid information. Sure, not all of it applies to Python 3.0, but as far as I know, Python 2.x is still well alive and kicking, so it might be good to start with 2.x anyway. :)
Python fits your specs wonderfully. Roll with it.
As with other people, I'd suggest Python.

Now, in terms of implementing your ideas, my best suggestion would be to put those aside for the time being. The general advice is to start small. Think of a project that sounds easy. Then go for something easier. Trust me, when learning, what appears to be easy can quickly become a complicated mess.

It might not sound fun, but part of advancing is the ability to follow through. And it's much more impressive to have a working Tic-Tac-Toe game that you wrote in 3 days than to have an incomplete RPG that you've been writing for 3 years.
Quote:Original post by Nytegard
As with other people, I'd suggest Python.

Now, in terms of implementing your ideas, my best suggestion would be to put those aside for the time being. The general advice is to start small. Think of a project that sounds easy. Then go for something easier. Trust me, when learning, what appears to be easy can quickly become a complicated mess.

It might not sound fun, but part of advancing is the ability to follow through. And it's much more impressive to have a working Tic-Tac-Toe game that you wrote in 3 days than to have an incomplete RPG that you've been writing for 3 years.

I do agree here, my intent was to apply these ideas after I had already done a fair amount of learning and programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement