Sign in to follow this  

Names for multilingual games

This topic is 2638 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Coming up with a good name for a game can be hard but not impossible, but what if the game has multiple translations to choose from?

I guess I could have the game title translated for each language but I'm not sure that is the best option. By translating the user can understand what the name means (if it has a meaning) but I'm afraid that it could be confusing, with multiple names for the same game. For other kinds of software I would not expect the application name to change with the language (e.g. En:Firefox -> Sv:Eldräv) so is games any different?

I'm not talking about any game in particular. Just possible future multilingual games (non-commercial). Does anyone have any experience with naming of multilingual games? How would you do it?

You could perhaps use different names if you're targeting specific market segments (western versus asian), but other than that, I think it only adds confusion.

As for meaning... as long as a name sounds good, I don't care too much about the meaning. I certainly don't require a name to be in my mother tongue - English, German, Japanese, Latin, or made-up gibberish... it's a name. Perhaps some prefer names to be in their native language - but at the same time, there will be people who like certain foreign languages better. For example, I've heard that (some?) Japanese consider German to be a cool language... Just don't pick a name that means something really bad in a certain (mainstream) language...

Either way, if you do want to translate names, then be sure to look into cultural differences as well. At that point, you'll probably find yourself spending a lot of time... so first ask yourself, is this really worth it?

/Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Original post by Captain P
As for meaning... as long as a name sounds good, I don't care too much about the meaning.
Just remember what sounds good in one language can sound embarrassing, offensive, or even scatological in another language. A famous example is Chevy's Nova, which means "won't go" in Spanish. Blind translation doesn't always work either, as I recall a case where a company's "mist stick" product translated into German wound up as a colloquialism for "shit stick".

This topic is 2638 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.