Sign in to follow this  
orangedragon10

(C++) Simple Inventory System

I'm interested in setting up a simple class-based inventory system for multiple items and would like some ideas. I have my inventory class and item class. Each item has a name, description, and value. I want the inventory system to keep track of how many items I have of each unique type. So if I have 2 apples, and I want to add another apple, it simply adds it to my total amount of apples instead of replacing my current set of apples.

I was thinking of using a the STL map using <string, int> but I want the container to actually store the objects themselves so I can still access GetDescription(), GetValue(), etc straight from container and still keep track of the quantity of each item type.

This is a pretty broad issue with many many different possible implementations.

I don't think you want to use a map, consider something like Vector<InventorySlot> and maybe a simple linear search for identical object types on adding an item would work just fine. Each vector index could be the slot id.

InventorySlot might be as simple as:

struct InventorySlot {
Item *ItemHandle;
int ItemCount;
}

You may want to encapsulate this if you plan on exposing InventorySlots to users outside of your inventory system.

It's hard to be too specific without actually implementing such a system for you, or without understanding more of your requirements or how you handle items.

Do all the items of a given type have the same name, description, and value?

If so, you could use a map whose keys are strings (the name of the item type), and whose values are a user-defined type that stores the description, value, and count for that item type.

If not, you could use a map whose keys are the names of the item types, and whose values are a container (e.g. vector or list) of a user-defined type that stores the name, description, and value.

Those are just a couple of options, of course; there are many other ways you could set it up as well.

M2tM: thank you for that option. I'll give it a whirl! never thought of having an inventory system -> item slot struct -> item object.

jvk: yes, each particular type of item (apples) has same stats. I was told it was a bad idea to store the quantity inside of the item itself, so I'm trying to avoid that.

Imagine it as a database problem. There's a table containing info on items (name, color, size) and a second table with a pairing of (name, count).