Sign in to follow this  
ESPMan

RPG Social Game Development Help

I am interested in making a RPG browser web based. It will be a simple text based game like Castle Age, Mousehunt, or Haven. I am not saying these games or simple, but I would like to make something like it while I am learning. I would like to eventually join, or hire a team to make one, but I want to educate myself on it first. I am a system's engineer in biomedical, so I am not a stranger to logic, quality control, programming, and design. I haven't programmed in years though. I would like to be the one who designs the game, and maybe be able to do the server side programming.

I guess what I am saying is I would like to be able to make a prototype, something very basic to just test the game mechanics with a database, and interface. Eventually I would like to put a team on it, and add more shine to it. I am thinking of PHP. Would PHP accomplish this? Could I create a prototype with just PHP? Can I use PHP for server, and client side? Any help is appreciated. Guidance would be ideal. Thanks!

Eric

[Edited by - ESPMan on September 29, 2010 6:55:42 AM]

Yes you can create a prototype, and eventually a finished product using php. However i doubt people will install a php parser so you will probably want to use another solution to run scripts on the clients side, such as javascript. You can read up on ajax if you're planning on implementing a really sophisticated browser based client, but php should be enough.

That depends on what you are trying to achieve, there are plenty of games that use php/perl etc serverside and very little to no client side scripting (travian for example). There are other browser based games that use scripts on the server side and ajax for example on the client side to achieve a smoother game experience. And there are games that do neither and use applications written in fully fledged programming languages such as java that just happen to run on the browser (like runescape). If the game is in the style of zork (google zork online) then the first option will suffice, If you want some kind of a mud then the second options could be considered to minimize the communications between the server and client when you notify the user of actions of other players.

Thanks for all the great tips, and advice.
The game client will need to send data back to the server. I will most likely use PHP for server, and Java Script for Client, using AJAX to send data back to the server. We are working on the design, and requirements right now.