Rendering 3D Scenes to JPG or PNG

Started by
2 comments, last by Funkymunky 13 years, 6 months ago
I'm starting a game project that's mostly web-based, and I was wondering if anyone had some advice as to a good 3D rendering engine that would allow me to render to JPG or PNG files, rather than the screen, and that does not require any special GPU, as this is being hosted on virtual servers that have no graphics hardware.

Is there any such library out there?
Advertisement
I guess that realtime graphics is not important, so Pixie might do the trick.
It`s heavy offline renderer, but generated images quality is one of the best!

http://www.renderpixie.com/

But I quess that server hosting company might have something to say,
if you convert their machines to render farm ;D

/Tyrian
I know that you are asking for an engine, but:

In Direct3D11, there is a device type called WARP that is a high-performance software renderer with D3D10.1 feature set. It is specifically designed for scenarios where there's no hardware acceleration available, such as legacy machines or headless servers.

The benefit of using WARP is that you could write the rendering infrastructure code only once and use it with both accelerated (modern client machines) and non-accelerated (server, legacy client machines) nodes. WARP is programmed exactly like a 10.1 level GPU, with the sole exception of the device type flag when you create the device object.

In D3D11, it is easy to fetch the rendered data from the device object by using a staging resource, whether the renderer is in hardware or software. You can then use D3DX to save the image to a PNG or JPG, or use an external file writer if D3DX is not flexible enough. In particular, the D3DX save functionality does not let you specify the quality of the JPEG compression, while this is very common functionality in external JPEG writers.

Niko Suni

what do you mean by mostly web-based?

It's not too hard to do in OpenGL, you just render to a texture and then write that data out in whatever file format you want. You don't need a special GPU for that, and you could have it run on the server if the input to it is web based.

What do you want to render? Do you have 3d models already?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement