Games and Databases

Started by
7 comments, last by Kylotan 13 years, 6 months ago
Can anyone point me to an article where I can read more about the interactions between games and databases. I find it really fascinating how World of Warcraft has such massive item databases and yet it all seems to run so seemlessly.
Advertisement
It may be worth reading http://clanlib.org/wiki/MainDocs:NetGame_Engine#World_of_Warcraft_Events
Thanks for the neat link. I was actually hoping to read something less code intensive, maybe like a beginners guide, any suggestions?
A beginner's guide to what, exactly? 'Games and databases' is a big topic.

The database is used to store persistent data, typically relating to players and items that change their properties over time. You don't typically need to read from the database during normal play as the values are cached in memory. And for the times when you do need to read, or the times you need to write, you can do it asynchronously.

Ok, lets start with say architecture, how would one implement a game into a game architecture? How does your game interact on a more technical level? I want to learn more about the topic but I have no idea where to start - hence my post asking for advice.
"how would one implement a game into a game architecture?"

Did you mean implement a database into a game architecture?

You decide what data you want to store in the database, then you write routines for reading that data and for writing it. Typically this involves using SQL and sending it to the database via the API provided by that database.

"How does your game interact on a more technical level?"

That is the sort of open-ended question that entire books get written on. You'll have to be more specific about what you want to know.
Hey,

maybe this will help: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,594,00.asp

Cheers,
Bach
Kylotan, you're quite right I did mean implement databases into game architecture.

It's very difficult for me to ask a question about a subject I know nothing about, hence why I have asked to be directed to an already existing article about the topic.
Unfortunately there is no one simple approach and it depends entirely on what exactly you want to achieve. Furthermore, most developers are not sharing many details about their back-end data format or how they use it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement