Sign in to follow this  
Bladelock

When is the best time to learn dark gdk?

Hello, I did look up dark gdk in the internet.

It really looks interesting, but i am also considering the fact that i am still a newbie to c++

What's your advice on when to learn dark gdk?

what are the prerequisites i should obtain before tackling dark gdk?
do i need to be a pro in c++ to get started?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello.

My personal advice is that you stay away from any Game Development Kits etc. until you know C++ well enough. That means, until you have read a C++ book, done most of the exercises and think that you understand the fundamentals of the language, how it works and how to take advantage of inheritance, polymorphism, dynamic memory management etc. in your small projects.

That might sound like a big hill to climb, but trust me, it is not. Yes, some of the books are terribly thick (C++ Primer Plus 5th Ed. is over 1200 pages), but they are very verbose. Also, C++ is a complicated language. However, you can get through such a book in about a month. But bear in mind that knowing the language is the easiest part of software(and game) development.

In short:
1) Get a C++ book
2) Set up a compiler/IDE (Microsot Visual C++ Express Edition is popular, and free)
3) Read a chapter of the book and try to write some code
4) Repeat 3) a few times and and take a look at SFML: http://sfml-dev.org/

..after a while(maybe a month or two) you should have actually got the whole book read, done some exercises and be ready to make simple games like tic-tac-toe and maybe even Tetris with SFML.

However, if you feel unsure about learning C++, maybe some other language would be more suitable for your first language? Have you taken a look at Python? It is very simple and fun, yet powerful language. It's not as fast as C++, but it doesn't matter yet.

Actually, why don't you just start out with Python? :)

Thanks for the advice. I do have a "book" for c++, it's actualy the one in msdn by Herbert Schildt. He makes the language look simple.

Python, yes I will work on Python once in a while. Compared to C++, it's quite simple.

I'll keep on learning as much as i can now for i am a beginner.

Thank you.

OK, the next advice/goal is quite far away, but after you learn c++ and make some small game with it, the next things you should look a bit at are software engineering and design patterns. They can save you in a lot of difficult decision making processes when things get big and complicated.

Quote:
Original post by meeshoo
OK, the next advice/goal is quite far away, but after you learn c++ and make some small game with it, the next things you should look a bit at are software engineering and design patterns. They can save you in a lot of difficult decision making processes when things get big and complicated.

You mean like looking at their programming templates and building from them to make the overall software creating process more faster, easier, and more efficient?