Sign in to follow this  
epkutcher

Game to disc

I am working with a club at my school, and me and my friend are really into 3d animation and video games. We have access to all autodesk programs, such as maya, and 3ds max. the game we will create is for a competition, and is required to be able to played off a disc on a regular computer. Just wondering what type of software will allow me to do this. Ive been looking and blender, unity, UDK, etc. for a good game engine. Can someone let me know what engine i will be able to use, which will allow me to put it on a disc once i am done creating the game, so that it would be playable on a normal computer(without those programs having to be installed, if you know what i mean). Thanks a bunch if anyone could just clear this up for me!!

Your question doesn't make any sense... Are you suggesting that you are making a game with a modeling program? Typically you save your models to disk and then write a game in a programming language (C++, Python, Java etc) in which you use a rendering library which is able to read those saved models and display/manipulate them in your game world.

Maya or 3ds Max are primarily editing tools. I know you can do animation with them as well, but to play back the animation you need to either save it in a flat video format, or have the original modeling program. I haven't heard of any actual game development being done directly with those tools, I know they have support for scripting languages, but again they are basically editing tools.

Perhaps i should word differently....i apologize. I am going to be using 3ds max to create the models for the game, and then import the models into a different program, such as blender. Once in this other program, i will use that programs game engine to create a small game. Once i have the game created, and functional, i just want to know if ill be able to somehow transfer it onto a disc, like an actual PC game, that can be inserted and played on a different computer. Does that make any more sense?

Unity 3D, Unreal, whatever you should just be able to burn to disc as long as you don't have any write functionality (save files, etc). It's all just relative pathing from the executable.

But there's certainly a lot more to making a game than creating assets. You'll at the very least need to learn to use the game editor and the scripting languages to get your logic working.

-me

Yeah, you seem confused about what goes into making a game... Unity 3d would be a good place to start as Palidine suggested.

Ok thank you. And yes I realize that I am a bit confused, I am planning on spending A LOT of time learning everything that I need to know, I just needed a starting place. So thank you very much! This is my first attempt at making a game, so a lot of it is new to me. All Ive done so far is a lot of modeling and some animations. Thank you again for your help, it at least gives me somewhere to start learning, and an idea for what program to use.

I have worked with UDK for a long time now, and it is by far easy to learn, master, and- write your games to a disk in a matter of minutes.
Well, learning how to use the engine takes some time and tutorials, and anyone with a model-app like 3D Max and Maya can really use UDK to its' full power.
If you need some help with it, or how to publish your game to a disk let me know.