Sign in to follow this  
funQuedelik

Quick question.

Hi, I'm new and want to get into game developement in C++. I was wondering what the best way to go about making 2D games in C++ is. As in what library is most suited for 2D. I've looked into DarkGDK, Allegro, openGL, and directX already. I was thinking about using openGL. But I'd like a second opinion.

EDIT: also are there any compilers and IDE's that are best suited for game developement? I currently use GNU GCC Compiler and code::blocks.

The two most common suggestions for a 2D C++ library would be SFML or SDL.

SFML is newer and offers hardware acceleration out of the box. You may want to give that a try to start with. Both, however, have lots of documentation, tutorials, resources, etc that should get you up and running.

As far as IDEs go: if you're on Windows, then checking out Visual C++ Express is a must. The debugger is nice to work with. And Code::Blocks is good too. Personally, I've used both and which ever one you prefer is probably your best bet.

Allegro has good coverage in books, i've often found those books to be relatively straight forward, but also limiting because of the reliance on allegro to be there. It also leverages DirectX for graphics, and a lot of the input handling, at least the version i was playing with.

Compilers deal with code, and IDE's deal with writing it. Dont focus on 'game development' as your primary goal for tools, you want an IDE that makes things straight forward to you while you write the code and points out errors. Its not going to implement game mechanics for you, you have to do that yourself.

For example, in my mind, the closest thing to a game development IDE would be the old app called Click'n'Play where you dragged elements onto the screen space, set rules and actions, and amazing, theres your game.

If youre working with c++, such a thing doesnt exist, in reality, no matter what language you want to work with it really doesnt exist.

''Compilers deal with code, and IDE's deal with writing it. Dont focus on 'game development' as your primary goal for tools, you want an IDE that makes things straight forward to you while you write the code and points out errors. Its not going to implement game mechanics for you, you have to do that yourself.''

I'm well aware of what these things are. That is why I asked about them. I'm new to gamedev and C++ alike. But worry not. I've definitely gotten well past page 1 of my C++ book.

Also you should take a look at Game Maker. It's quite old but has had steady updates for many years. It's a 2D game developement IDE that uses 'game maker language' or 'GML.' Quite fast and powerful and soon you should be able to port games to ipad,itouch,and psp... Don't think that cause it's made to make 2D game development easy that it's crap cause I've played a lot of very impressive games made with it and have done some neat things myself.

However, I figured if I wanted develop games professionally, I better get some C++ under my belt.... Hence why I am here asking questions.

Thanks for the help. ;)