Space Chunks II BETA

Started by
24 comments, last by EggRogue 13 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by unbird
Good work indeed, congrats. Looks very polished, haven't found any glitches so far. Runs smooth even on 1920x1080 resolution (NV 8500 GT).

But I have to admit: This sort of game almost screams for game-pad or joystick support. That would be really nice.

Hi Unbird,

Thank you!

You are the second to mention controller support, and it's something I will be looking into.
Advertisement
Hey you're from Perth! Cool. :)

Great game. I did have a few issues though:

Either the thrust's power curve was too er... exponential (?) at a certain point, or the wind was just plain annoying. The ship was too hard to control to do acute movements to pick up the small power-ups.

Also the part where you "double tap thrust" towards the nav pointer didn't work for me... not really sure how you're supposed to do that.

Quote:Original post by Mybowlcut
Hey you're from Perth! Cool. :)

Great game. I did have a few issues though:

Either the thrust's power curve was too er... exponential (?) at a certain point, or the wind was just plain annoying. The ship was too hard to control to do acute movements to pick up the small power-ups.

Also the part where you "double tap thrust" towards the nav pointer didn't work for me... not really sure how you're supposed to do that.

Hi Bowlcut,

Regarding the thrust, there is no "power curve" - it is either on or off, depending on whether you are holding down the thrust button or not.

Also regarding the "wind", there is none. It is space after all :) If you wish to come to a stop, press the brake key.

The game uses the same thrust/rotate style ship controls as seen in the venerable Asteroids circa 1979 and thousands of games since.

With regards to double tap - that simply means to press the thrust button twice in a row, moderately quickly. It's like a double click with a mouse, but instead of a mouse button you are using a key.

The nav pointer is the large glowing gold triangle on the edge of your screen - the point of the triangle shows you the direction you need to face.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

Quote:Original post by EggRogue
Hi Wan,

Unfortunately no, there is no video currently. There is however a zip file download option if you are concerned about running an unknown setup executable.

Heh, I trust you, but I was temporarily stuck with a colleague's laptop at the time and I didn't want to install stuff on a machine that isn't my own. :)
Hi Bowlcut,

Regarding the thrust, there is no "power curve" - it is either on or off, depending on whether you are holding down the thrust button or not.

Also regarding the "wind", there is none. It is space after all :) If you wish to come to a stop, press the brake key.

The game uses the same thrust/rotate style ship controls as seen in the venerable Asteroids circa 1979 and thousands of games since.

With regards to double tap - that simply means to press the thrust button twice in a row, moderately quickly. It's like a double click with a mouse, but instead of a mouse button you are using a key.

The nav pointer is the large glowing gold triangle on the edge of your screen - the point of the triangle shows you the direction you need to face.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

If there's no wind or power curve, then I was experiencing some strange movement. My PC isn't ancient so I don't know what it could be.

I know what a double tap is haha. I must have been looking at the wrong thing! :s

Quote:Original post by Wan
Hi Wan,

Unfortunately no, there is no video currently. There is however a zip file download option if you are concerned about running an unknown setup executable.

Heh, I trust you, but I was temporarily stuck with a colleague's laptop at the time and I didn't want to install stuff on a machine that isn't my own. :)

Understandable! I do intend to have a gameplay video made at some point.

Just so you know, the game installer only places files into the chosen install folder, and nowhere else. It also comes with an uninstaller so it can be removed easily.
Really cool game, very impressive you made it all yourself.

I thought the controls were pretty simple, just the same as asteroids and the music is very cool.

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."

Quote:Original post by Monkan
Really cool game, very impressive you made it all yourself.

I thought the controls were pretty simple, just the same as asteroids and the music is very cool.

Hi Monkan,

Thank you very much! I agree, I thought the controls would be considered fairly straightforward, but maybe that's just because I'm old and used to that kinda thing :)
UPDATE - Version 0.97 Beta
====================

Loads of additions and changes!

http://www.crunchyfrog.com.au/spacechunks2

montage3.jpg

* New enemy ship: Stealth ship! With cloaking device!
* New enemy ship: Immobiliser! With tractor beam!
* New enemy ship: Defender! With reflective shield!
* New upgrade: Magneto field - draws bonuses and powerups towards you!
* New upgrade: Warp shield - provides temporary invulnerability!
* New upgrade: Temporal shockwave - release damaging + disabling blast wave!
* New upgrade: Anti-mine system - enemy mines neutralised or converted!
* New upgrade: Anti-missile system - enemy missiles neutralised or converted!
* New end of stage boss: TriBlaster!
* New end of stage boss: The Summoner!
* New end of stage boss: The Duplicator!
* New end of stage boss: BladeStar!
* Player name for high score now entered/submitted from within the game.
* Mouse control for aiming/steering!
* Able to set game defaults from menu options.

+ Experience gain/promotion made faster.
+ Overall reduction of enemy firepower
+ Static enemy defenses reduced significantly.
+ Enemy missile launcher rate of fire reduced.
+ Enemy mine layer rate of fire reduced.
+ EMP mine radius halved.
+ Carrier ship fighter respawn time reduced.
+ Enemy shield strength reduced significantly.
+ Gun platforms removed.
+ War-chunk hit points reduced.
+ Missiles targetting wingmates do not re-target onto player.
+ Small enemy fighter speed reduced.
+ Orange pickup now replenishes 4 missiles instead of 1.
+ Combat matrix upgrade now becomes Battle tactics - wingmates burst fire and launch barrages.
+ Improved the effect of heavy support upgrade.
+ UFOs generally stay closer to their target than previously.
+ Player respawns away from enemies.
+ Difficulty of the game now adjusts enemy speed and rate of fire, not toughness.
+ New enemy weapon - concussion mines - causes 1 damage plus knockback.
+ All experienced/Veteran/Elite troops have critical hit chance.
+ Enemy spawns during stages is more designed, less random.
+ Missiles are more clearly colour coded and distinctive.

Enjoy :)
The game looks fantastic. Good work :)

Downloaded and played. This is one of the best games I have played of this type. Very well done. Responsive controls, good difficulty slope, and nice visual effects. Will definitely recommend this to friends.

[Edited by - IronGryphon on October 26, 2010 12:19:23 PM]
SDBradley
CGP
"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read." ~Mark Twain

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement