What 3D Modeler to Use

Started by
10 comments, last by dblack 13 years, 6 months ago
I've been fumbling my way around google looking for free or pay modeling programs that would be ideal for creating meshes for DX. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which modeling tools would be good to work with? Right now I assume the modeler must import/export (*.x) file formats for DirectX.

A couple I've read about were:
Mesh Maker Pro
DeleD

I'll look into any links, or suggestions given. If there is any reason why I should go with any particular type of modeler please let me know so I can make a more informed decision (especially if I'll need to be investing more finances into this love of programming =D)

Thank You for your time,
~Joe
Advertisement
Blender. I think it's pretty much the standard and best for free modeling. I've never heard of those other two programs, but everybody knows about blender. It's quite awesome.
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
Correction: Blender BETA, release 2.54 right now. 2.49 is a piece of garbage.

That said, I've been having some real headaches with getting sane .X meshes out of Blender. FBX is probably the smoothest integration path between Blender and XNA.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I would also suggest blender. But I won't insist. When I began I tried milk-shake3d, 3ds max and maya a bit, then finally switch to blender. I would say the choice is subjective here, depends on what you need. The best advice is just try several programs.
Quote:

Wow, what's wrong with the 2.49 version? I've hardly ever heard anything but praise for blender around here, I don't know how you can call their stable release a 'piece of garbage'? I understand there may be some new features in the beta, but is it even stable at this point?

I just don't think you should unnecessarily scare people away from it.
[size=2]My Projects:
Right now I'm reading about the "Blend 2.54".
EDIT: Will also look at previously mentioned stable version(s) of Blend

The intent of the 3D Modeling, for me, is gaming. I need to be able to load textured meshes into a DirectX9 program.

So I'm on the search to find a tool that lets me build nice looking objects that are intended to be rendered in the game.

Example objects:
-Cubes
-Walls
-Ramps
-Humanoids
Quote:Original post by karwosts
Quote:

Wow, what's wrong with the 2.49 version? I've hardly ever heard anything but praise for blender around here, I don't know how you can call their stable release a 'piece of garbage'? I understand there may be some new features in the beta, but is it even stable at this point?

I just don't think you should unnecessarily scare people away from it.

I'm a relatively new user of Blender, but I think the most common complaint is that 2.49's interface is (comparatively) impenetrable. 2.5's interface can be tricky but I find it a bit more intuitive. Furthermore, since future releases are going to be based of Blender 2.5 and 2.54 is basically a complete product one might as well start with it.

Personally, I'm still a fan of Wings for doing basic modeling, since it's highly intuitive and I can work very quickly with it. Sculptris is also very nice for organic sculpting, but it fairly recently got bought by ZBrush. Allegedly it will remain free, though.

Blender has more or less the same features as these two programs, but often it's quickest (for me) just to use one of the more specialized programs and then import into Blender to finish the model, do animations, and apply textures and materials.

EDIT: I have used the free version of DeleD a couple of years ago. It seemed like a fairly reasonable program, but I haven't used it for quite a while.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
I'm a long term user of Blender, since December 2000 I think, obviously then I'm a fan of the old interface. I find myself having to re-learn a lot of things with the new interface, I'm pretty sure I still have 2.49 installed for that reason. Sadly I don't get much time to practice my 3d modelling lately.
Portfolio & Blog:http://scgamedev.tumblr.com/
Would anyone recommend yet to make the switch to the newest (beta) version?

I've spent some time in 2.4x, but not that much and I was thinking about getting back into it more heavily. I'm wondering if I should invest the time to learning the new interface since it will be the standard going forward. Obviously if it is segfaulting every time I try to add a cube that's not really going to be productive though...
[size=2]My Projects:
I had a play around with the beta again there and it seems very stable. You can usually rest assured that a beta release in blender will be pretty much bug free, alpha versions on the other hand can often have system specific crashes which haven't been ironed out yet.

I'd say go with the new interface, on having a second go at it I liked it a bit more then at first, it's still weird not using the space bar for creating objects and stuff like that but I found it still as intuitive as ever when it came to actual modelling.
Portfolio & Blog:http://scgamedev.tumblr.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement