Families vs. Guilds?

Started by
7 comments, last by Acharis 13 years, 6 months ago
Been lurking around these forums for a while now, thought I might as well create an account and make my first post. :)

I'm actually not sure where to post this, since every place else seems to be technical related. This seemed like the best place. :)

My question is what are your views on families vs guilds, and what roles/privileges should each group have in the world that the other doesn't?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of a fantasy based MMORPG (I have no experience at all, but it's something I've been enjoying as of late since no games really appeal to me at the moment-kindof dorky I know :P) and well I'm trying to think of what would make more sense: to have a guild in control of the castle/kingdom, or rather should a family have access to it. (thinking of royal families king, queen, etc.)

I seem to notice that guilds in MMOs are groups of players who well... like to play the game: dungeon runs, pvp, that sort of thing. And families on the other hand are a group of close friends who like to roleplay.

Your thoughts?
Advertisement
What is the difference between a guild and a family?

Guild
1. A group of people usually in related professions. i. g. Artist guild. woodworkers guild
2. Functions as a group that produces or has a common goal

Family
1. A group of people related by blood or adoption.
2. Functions could be anywhere from Crime family to royalty to peasants who don't care.

Are you meaning to have a "family" in game? Such as having players specify relationships and such. Or would this really be just a "family" that a player can leave any time.
Quote:Original post by wulfhart
What is the difference between a guild and a family?

You have the idea of what they are, and what makes them different from eachother. --->

Quote:Guild
1. A group of people usually in related professions. i. g. Artist guild. woodworkers guild
2. Functions as a group that produces or has a common goal

Yes that sounds about right.

Quote:Family
1. A group of people related by blood or adoption.
2. Functions could be anywhere from Crime family to royalty to peasants who don't care.

This is also correct.

Quote:Are you meaning to have a "family" in game? Such as having players specify relationships and such. Or would this really be just a "family" that a player can leave any time.

Implemented ingame as a process of marrying a person, then assigning other users as sons/daughters.

And a guild on the other hand is as you said is a group of users working towards similar goals/into certain activities be it crafting or fighting.

So what kind of events ingame can a guild participate in that say a family cannot. Like my question, would it be more appropriate for a guild to be able to rule a kingdom/area or should a family be allowed to? And if a family were to be able to rule, then what would guilds be able to do?

(in case it matters a person can be in a family, and also be part of a guild--however would that seem odd, to have a family in power yet have say a princess be part of a hunting/gathering guild?) x__x

(also, not sure if I made it clear or not, hope I did) :s
There is not really any difference in capabilities between a family and a guild.
The only difference would be stricter membership in families.

A family could be a family of violin makers and in essence a violin making guild.

A merchants guild could be in control of a city and in essence the government.

Historically a lot of guilds consisted of wealthy families.

The real question is what would fit your game better.
That would be really cool. The problem with family ties only being created through marrying is only a small percentage of players will marry in-game and it also requires an equal gender ratio of characters.

In real life, everyone has family. So you could let the user choose a unique first name, and then automatically placed into a family along with brothers and sisters. It would help develop a special bond between players.

Married couples could have children, if there is an uneven gender ratio then perhaps you could have prostitutes randomly accuse a single male that I child they bore was theres. Having children gives a reason for senior players to mentor new players.

If you have a parent-child hierarchy you have to think about who is at the top (an NPC?), what if your parent ignores you and you're without a mentor, and the likelihood of your MMO getting 10,000+ players that some 50 year old guy runs into their great-great-great-great-great-great grandparent who ends up being 15 year old kid.
The idea of clan comes into mind. It would be far more effective than families, and yet very distinct from guilds.

In a clan, everyone is entitled to and 'ensalved' to their heritage. If you are born in a clan that controls a certain region, you will have much easier access to infrastructures and the likes within that territory (land ownership). However, it would not force the local guilds to cooperate (goods ownership).

I believe while clans could claim for control over lands and thus, apply taxes, guilds would be the actual producer, including 'security' (aka mercenaries).

Your economy would run on guilds, whereas your politics would run on clans.

It should be noted that the core of a clan-owned region should be mostly populated by that clan, so that even the guilds are formed mostly of clanic members. If too many strangers should plague the land of a clan, only ancestry will remain, and the territory will be overrun by the guild's power. Then, clan members will still have a 'moral claim' on the land, and may choose to take arms to liberate their lands at an ulterior moment when their time has come to cleanse the land ;)

As you can see, clans vs guilds are an interesting motive for PvP wars.
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
It seems less personal if you see a message "Someone from your clan is in trouble!" vs "Your brother is in trouble!". But it depends on your theme. Perhaps in a mafia themed game where bloodline is an important part of your identity.
Quote:Original post by radcrime
Like my question, would it be more appropriate for a guild to be able to rule a kingdom/area or should a family be allowed to?

What about ... neither? Instead, have the ruler always be a single character, with or without support from his family and any guilds he might belong to. Though it would be better for him if he had the support when the revolution comes ...
I know of at least one game where they disabled marriage feature due to "will you marry me?" spam amount. Do not count on players using this feature "properly", especially if you have a huge amount of horny teenagers :)

If you really want to have families I would make it more abstract and do not let players specifically marry each other. Maybe more like 5 players of any gender join together to form a family via marrying their characters (each player would have several both gender offsprings available to marry). There are several games that use such mechanic.

Also check "In the Shadow of the Emperor" boardgame. They had made it nice there.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement