About Visual Studio 2010...

Started by
6 comments, last by kimryo 13 years, 6 months ago
I updated my development environment to Visual Studio 2010 recently, upgraded existing Visual Studio 2008 projects and compile and link, the same output exe file be about 2 times larger than VS2008 do, what's the difference between 2010 and 2008 on creating exe file?

Thanks in advance.
God create the world,we create another one.-Reference
Advertisement
Are you in debug mode? Switch to release.
Thanks for your reply.
Of course I mean both in release mode.
And are you compiling against the same runtime libraries (both statically or both dinamically linked?)
Yes, the project is completely same thing, just upgrade them from VS2008 and compile, link. Maybe the libraries(CRT, MFC etc) provided by VS2010 are sort of quite different compare to VS2008's?

Thanks.
Different libraries with more code in them - better error checking (and recovery), some stuff that may have been dynamically linked might have gone to statically linked (although it's normally the other direction), nothing dramatic and definitely no need to be concerned.

To be honest I gave up worrying about executable sizes maybe 10 years ago; it seems kinda silly in this day and age (especially when you factor in dynamic linking) and has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on anything to do with the quality of the final program.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

How much bigger is 2X bigger?

Jumping from 100KB to 200KB is nothing. Jumping from 12MB to 24MB would be a very different concern.
Quote:Original post by frob
How much bigger is 2X bigger?

Jumping from 100KB to 200KB is nothing. Jumping from 12MB to 24MB would be a very different concern.

Em, it's about 1.1MB grown to 2.2MB.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement