Is the X file format deprecated?

Started by
11 comments, last by Icebone1000 13 years, 6 months ago
Im trying to figure out what file format to start practicing skeletal animation..but I cant find any good tips on this..

I want to avoid COLLADA because it looks way too complex, and I kind dislikes xml stuff..

So I started look for the .X file..But the actual dx sdk have created its own file format (sdkmesh)just for its examples, why would they do that if they alredy have its own x file? Its like "X is not good either for an sdk sample.."

Since Im using DX11, I like to avoid using those kind of stuff, like the ID3DX10Mesh..(.X is still mentionated on the dx10)

Where can I find a list of file formats that support skeletal animation? And what ones are you used to use ?

Sorry my english..
Advertisement
Yes the x file format has been deprecated for quite some time now, as someone suffering from this deprecation I highly recommend you avoid it, move on to something else like FBX.
directx was using .sdkmesh for awhile during the transition from 9-10-11.
But i'm not sure if .x is officially deprecated.
It's not "deprecated" - it's just a format specification, after all. Collada is better supported, though. As is FBX, even though it's a closed format. Search for a readymade loader library, such as the FBX SDK (for FBX, naturally) or Assimp (for Collada, X and 20 others) - that saves you a lot of hassles and gets you the data you need for skeletal experiments.
----------
Gonna try that "Indie" stuff I keep hearing about. Let's start with Splatter.
Quote:Original post by _meds
as someone suffering from this deprecation

Just curious, how are you suffering from it?
Just curious..
since this is a game development forum, specially on a dx subforum..I was expecting more feedback about mesh formats that support animation..but I dont find many things either when I use the search or look for it on google...I was hoping for some kind of best alternative that everyone agrees with...why there isnt any? How ppl do this? I mean, its a must task for who works with games...

Thanx for mentioning those load libs, I guess I will start from there, I thinking on the FBX...
Quote:Original post by Icebone1000.I was hoping for some kind of best alternative that everyone agrees with...why there isnt any?

Because everyone needs different things, different priorities, etc..
Im getting 661 warnings compiling the fbx sdk, can I hide the warnings referent to just those header files? I have just one warning on my "own" app, those will makes my life dificult x_x

"Because everyone needs different things, different priorities, etc.."
Yeah but, if you talking about games, a file that holds a mesh and rigging animation is a commom need between every app.
Quote:Original post by Icebone1000
Yeah but, if you talking about games, a file that holds a mesh and rigging animation is a commom need between every app.
Not necessarily - for instance, I need creased subdivision surfaces, rather than polygonal meshes (and many modern games follow this trend).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by Icebone1000
"Because everyone needs different things, different priorities, etc.."
Alright, but should it hold both skeletal and morph-based animation? What types of materials does it support? Is it Y-up or Z-up? What are its base units? Are all polygons triangulated? Are all triangles stripified? Is collision volume information stored, and what types of collision volumes are supported?

You can have a catchall file format which supports every feature you might want and records each representation decision you've made -- that's what FBX and COLLADA are for -- but then that format is useless for use in a game engine because it supports things that your engine doesn't. It's also probably a lot slower to load, because you can't copy directly into your application's structures.

This is why you have one (standardized) format for content export, and one (custom) format for engine import.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement