what would make a scary fps coop game?

Started by
49 comments, last by tehgamemaker 13 years ago
Quote:Original post by NPSF3000
Quote:Original post by Talroth
One thing to keep in mind when considering what restrictions are placed on information sharing between players: VoIP.

Anything that relies on changing what information two players knows is doomed to failure if one can ask the other "Hey, are you dead?" and have the other reply "No, why?"

Thats great - until the voip cuts out, starts repeating something someone said hours ago, replays the last moments of other soldiers, random screams, little girl asks for mummy etc.

I've yet to have Teamspeak or Ventrillo do that to me.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement
Quote:
Lets say the door slams behind him and all of a sudden the other players cant hear him, maby only some random static disturbance (in the headset).

well they wouldnt hear anything as he will be in a closed off area, they will just be confused where he has gone..
:)
A scary FPS concept? How about:

You enter your regular bar, walking from room to room, alcove to alcove, greeting the familiar faces when suddenly another wide-eyed 14 year old stumbles your way and says "I have t3h greeeetest id3a 4 an MMORPGRTSFPSWEB2.0 it will t3h 4w3s0me! I just need progrAmers, artists and designers, oh and sounds guys. Can U halpz?"...

I bet if you called "GD.net" they'd feature it on the main page ;)

Andy

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

scary FPS, I don't really see the appeal. Somehow things just aren't that scary when you have a big gun in your hand.

Scary survival horror game with coop, now that has potential in my opinion. Give the players the ability to signal each other and to cause distractions, but no weapons or any kind of killing allowed. Just try to gtf out of there through waves of enemies, each with a different focus and behavior.

Somehow getting someone killed must give a penalty to the other players to really get the need for teamwork in there - for example, you have to leave an area with everyone alive, and everyone needs to be in a certain spot to have dead players be revived.

Just an idea, I'm not sure yet if it is a good, bad or terrible one ;)
Here it is, boys....

Japanese school girls trying to escape from a tentacle monster in the school.
Quote:Original post by jesot
I am pretty sure that is hentai, not scary...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by swiftcoder
Quote:Original post by jesot
I am pretty sure that is hentai, not scary...

unless you're a school girl...

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

Why can't it be both? Do it up like Amnesia (monster causes hallucinations) and add coop interactions between characters... Bam.
Game that instals troyan horse to computer, and spyes players off-game actions.
And when player fails in game, game sends players personal activity data to
public server. (game creates fear of true public humiliation >:D )

edit: hmm... Microsoft all ready made that game... Windows :D

/Tyrian
Quote:Original post by Anddos
Ive been thinking of the ultimate scary coop fps game , where you play over the internet with people , i dont mean like left4dead which is just to arcadey imo,i am talking about a truely epic horror game , what would be the enemy?

The scariest thing I could think of is putting you health in another player's hands. If they screw up, you're screwed out of health. This would work better in an WoW type setting.

Check out Super Play, the SNES inspired Game Engine: http://www.superplay.info

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement