Sign in to follow this  

d3d10 input layout

This topic is 2633 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a color variable (D3DXCOLOR) in my vertex and its value is [0,255].

Is it possible to pass it into my shader and have it automatically be interpreted as a value from [0,1]?

I can just normalize it to [0,1] at initialization but I would like to know if I can avoid doing that.

I've tried setting up its input element description as one of these :
DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_TYPELESS
DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM
DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM_SRGB
DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UINT
DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_SNORM
DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_SINT

with its byte offset as
PrevElementOffset += 4

and the color components are still in [0,255]

but my mesh doesn't render.

(It does render if I normalize it [0,1] and use DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32A32_FLOAT and PrevElementOffset += 16 )

Is it possible doing it that way or am I stuck with normalizing it at initialization?

The D3DXCOLOR struct is made up of 4 float's. So yeah it's not going to work if you use a format that specifies 4 8-bit integer components. The only way you would be able to use it directly is by specifiying a format with 4 32-bit floats. However it has a casting operator for DWORD, which lets you convert it to a 32-bit integer with 4 8-bit unsigned components. This would let you use the DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM format and the shader will interpret it as [0,1] values. However it requires that your values in the D3DXCOLOR color struct are of the range [0,1] before casting.

This topic is 2633 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.