About new Unity 3.0

Started by
21 comments, last by swiftcoder 13 years, 6 months ago
hey guys,

Newbie here, I've just read the review of Unity in the main page, and downloaded the free version. But I think I'm not getting the point of the Unity's usage. I mean, it is a game engine, but "how" do you develop a project using Unity?
Looking at the workflow, it seems you create some terrain, put some objects and get them to interact. I don't think that is the point of Unity, because it would be so limited.

I've seen it has some scripting. That means you only have to code that scripts? I'm learning C++ but I don't see where you have to "code" the game using the engine...

Anyone using Unity?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Have you already looked through the documentation?
Quote:Original post by b3y0nd3r
Looking at the workflow, it seems you create some terrain, put some objects and get them to interact.

Yep, that sounds about right.

I don't think that is the point of Unity, because it would be so limited.

How so? From what I've seen, Unity seems to have everything you'd want in a game engine... Dynamic-lighting, physics, etc.

I've seen it has some scripting. That means you only have to code that scripts? I'm learning C++ but I don't see where you have to "code" the game using the engine...

Anyone using Unity?

I've only played with Unity for about a half-hour, but yes, you create scripts with either &#106avascript, C#, or Boo (a dialect of Python). You could use C++ to create dlls or plugins perhaps. <br><br>
Coding is only one part of game makeing. (~30% of game making)

Unity has precoded components that game uses, and components are controlled
with script language. (time critical things are hardcoded in to components
and non-time critical is left for scripting languages)

And you can use Unity without using terrain component, terrain just happens to be
common element in games, so Unity has special component to speed up game makeing.

<rant>

Programmers are not best game desingers,
becouse making entertaintment is not about logic
but of imagination!

</rant>

/Tyrian
I've just read the review of Unity in the main page, and downloaded the free version. But I think I'm not getting the point of the Unity's usage. I mean, it is a game engine, but "how" do you develop a project using Unity?
Looking at the workflow, it seems you create some terrain, put some objects and get them to interact. I don't think that is the point of Unity, because it would be so limited.

I've seen it has some scripting. That means you only have to code that scripts?
The scripting is where most of the work happens. It's the opposite of limited; basically, anything you can figure out how to program, you can do (within reason, of course).

Just looking at the editor without investigating the scripting API won't really give you an idea of the project workflow or of how to develop a project in Unity. If you want to get a better idea of the process, working through some of the tutorials and/or trying to put together a simple game (e.g. Pong, Asteroids, etc.) might be a good place to start.
Thanks all for the answers. They were very helpful. Only one more doubt.
As my project is going to be focused on random generated worlds with RPG gameplay and with the users to be able to create and manipulate objects via scripting, is Unity powerful enough to do all of that?
In Unity, anything you can do in the editor can be done by script. So yes, I believe you could write some level generation scripts to procedurally generate your content.
As a side note, you could always check the unity developer forums for people who have/are doing what you're trying to do - they've got a good community going around their engine.
Great! I'm looking forward to check the tutorials.

By the way, I know some C++ and I'm going to develop primary on Mac OS, wich scripting language suits best, &#106avascript, C# or Boo?

Thanks again ;)
By the way, I know some C++ and I'm going to develop primary on Mac OS, wich scripting language suits best, &#106avascript, C# or Boo?
Although it was referred to as &#106avascript for a while, it's actually UnityScript, a &#106avascript variant.<br><br>Currently there are more Unity-related resources available for UnityScript than for either of the other two languages. There are a few reasons for this, two of them being that up until recently UnityScript has been favored in the documentation, and that UnityScript is arguably easier for beginners to get into than C# (and maybe Boo as well, although probably not to the same extent). I believe with Unity 3, the documentation is in the process of being updated to incorporate more C# examples.<br><br>Boo is hardly ever mentioned &#111;n the Unity forums, and I've seen almost no tutorials or example code that uses Boo. I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason, Boo seems to be by far the least frequently used of the three supported languages (and both as a cause and as a result of that, there are relatively few resources available &#111;n developing in Unity using Boo).<br><br>My own preference is C# (for a few different reasons), but I'd recommend just playing around a little with whichever of the three languages seem interesting to you, and see which &#111;ne you like best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement