• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jethro_T

Discrete Math Problem

This topic is 2939 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Yes, this is homework but I'm not just dropping a bunch of questions and asking for answers. I'm looking to learn how to solve this type of problem so I can do the rest myself.

¬∀y : ((∃x : P(x,y)) ∨ (∀x : ¬Q(x,y)))

The goal is to rewrite the proposition so that the negations occur only within the predicates. I've been reading through my textbook but I still don't even know where to start with this one. Can someone help?

I'm not sure what the policy on homework is here but I know that people typically look down on people who ask homework related questions. Hopefully it's not a big deal, I'm willing to actually learn and I don't have this class again until Wednesday.

[Edited by - Jethro_T on October 1, 2010 11:32:57 PM]

Advertisement
Instead of writing the logic out symbolically, try rewriting the expression using English.

btw what is the ':' symbol? Did you mean to write the implication operator ('->')?

I'm drunk right now, try it tomorow. I think I tried converting to enlgisj. Btw, the professor always uses that ":" but my TA always omits it, so no, I didn't mean to use the implication operator. Basically, ignore it I guess. I'll try this stuff tomorow.

For all values of y, ((∃x : P(x,y)) ∨ (∀x : ¬Q(x,y))) is false

There exists atleast one value for x such that P(x, y) is true

OR

for all values of x, ¬Q(x,y) is true

I don't really know how to take this any farther.

>>¬∀y : ((∃x : P(x,y)) ∨ (∀x : ¬Q(x,y))

Translates to : NOT FOREACH y, there exist an x such that P(x,y) is true OR FOREACH x NOT Q(x,y) is true

Hint 1) !∀ = ∃
Hint 2) Use Demorgans law

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!