Sign in to follow this  
pljones_

[SlimDX] Surface.AsSurface() throws "E_NOINTERFACE..." (resolved)

I'm trying to do something "really simple" in my first ever use of DirectX.

Of course, it's made more complicated by doing it from C#... I'm using SlimDX (June 2010). I've got Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010) installed. I checked I've got the runtime installed as best I could (the samples run for both the Microsoft SDK and SlimDX).

I can compile my code. It's very simple - it's attempting to read DDS data and write it to an Image. I don't quite get that far, however.

public System.IO.Stream Data { set { Texture = Texture2D.FromStream(dev, value, (int)value.Length); } }

public Texture2D Texture
{
set
{
Surface surface = value.AsSurface();
DataRectangle dr = surface.Map(SlimDX.DXGI.MapFlags.Read);
this.Image = Image.FromStream(dr.Data);
}
}

I pass in a Stream containing what I hope is DDS data. The Texture gets created OK -- that is, the set_Texture method is invoked okay. The program fails on the call to "value.AsSurface()", with

SlimDX.Direct3D11.Direct3D11Exception was unhandled
Message=E_NOINTERFACE: The requested COM interface is not available (-2147467262)
Source=SlimDX
StackTrace:
at SlimDX.Result.Throw[T](Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
at SlimDX.Result.Record[T](Int32 hr, Boolean failed, Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
at SlimDX.Result.Record[T](Int32 hr, Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
at SlimDX.Direct3D11.Resource.AsSurface()
at S3PIDemoFE.DDSWidget.set_Texture(Texture2D value) in P:\Source\Sims3\S3PIDemoFE\DDSWidget\DDSWidget.cs:line 46
at S3PIDemoFE.DDSWidget.set_Data(Stream value) in P:\Source\Sims3\S3PIDemoFE\DDSWidget\DDSWidget.cs:line 40
at S3PIDemoFE.MainForm.getValueControl() in P:\Source\Sims3\S3PIDemoFE\MainForm.cs:line 1628

I can't find any help on what the error message means, either in general or specifically to SlimDX. I'm guessing I'm missing some library?

Clues most appreciated! :)

Obviously, the biggest help would be an explanation of how to convert DDS data into a Bitmap using SlimDX... :D

[Edited by - pljones_ on October 4, 2010 8:04:45 AM]

...Thinking about it overnight, I guess I'm coming at this from the wrong angle...

I just want to display (one of the MIPMAPs from) the DDS in a Windows Control that can be positioned as part of laying out the application main window. I'll go look that up, as I'm sure I saw something about it.

I copied from the SlimDX Samples ...\Direct3D9\WPF Interop\WpfSample\, creating my own XAML and rendering engine. Seems to work.