Sign in to follow this  

3D game engine for C++

This topic is 2631 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i have had some trouble finding a good game engine for C++.
Yeah i know there are hundreds of lists with game engines, and i have looked at them several times. Thing is i don't want to use a lot of time, learning an engine, and then find out i should have choosen something else.

so basically i am requesting a couple of suggestions for a 3D game engine, preferably with a small review, or aguments why i should/shouldn't pick some specific engine.

also i would prefer if it had a non-comercial version available for free, since it's just a hobby thing, and i don't plan on making any revolutionary games any time soon.

i hope you can help me out :D

thanks in advance :)

-Craksy

Depends on what you're looking for, but either way, give Irrlicht a try. It's free, easy to setup, has a nice set of tutorials, and even has a level editor.

If you are looking for a full up engine it doesn't get better than Panda3d. It is pretty easy to use and has the best documentation I have ever seen. If you are just looking for graphics I second Irrlicht it has good documentation, and has a coherent stable API.

Quote:
Original post by GuyWithBeard
I highly recommend Ogre.

http://www.ogre3d.org/

Ogre3D is nice, but I am not sure if I would recommend it to a beginner (seeing as we are in a beginner section). If OP has a strong C++ knowledge-base, then I would say go for it. If not, Irrlicht may be a better option. In any case, the two are technically "rendering engines," although physics engines are included (I believe with both packages?). Ogre3D is much more featured and has a quite extensive API. Irrlicht is much easier and will help you launch of a project much faster if that's all you're looking to do. In any case, good luck!

My overall inclination, however, is to agree with GuyWithBeard since I prefer Ogre to Irrlicht, but it does depend on your skill level.

-RageD

There's a section in the wiki

Regardless of what you choose, you will always get to the point that what you've chosen didn't fit.
Not because you've chosen the wrong one, but learning is a process of trial and error. You get better with time, learning from your mistakes. Eventually you will look back and say "I spent 4 months to do THAT??"

The basic graphics physics and sound theory is the same for all of those engines.

Cheers
Dark Sylinc

Quote:
Original post by GuyWithBeard
I highly recommend Ogre.

http://www.ogre3d.org/

I would also recommend Ogre3D. Although it is not a full game engine, depending on the scale of your project it is quite easy to add a few libraries along side Ogre and have a full engine, such as adding PhysX which Ogre already has wrappers for.

This topic is 2631 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.