Total Beginner here. Have a few questions

Started by
12 comments, last by jbadams 13 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by Quasimojo
The over-sensitivity to the general use of the term, "C/C++" here just cracks me up. Someone needs a latte...hmm...that does sound good about now... :P

... So I was working on this Java/C# project the other day... and I realized I needed a scripting engine; do you think it would be OK to expect users to script in Perl/Ruby, or should I roll my own?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
Quote:Original post by Quasimojo
The over-sensitivity to the general use of the term, "C/C++" here just cracks me up. Someone needs a latte...hmm...that does sound good about now... :P

... So I was working on this Java/C# project the other day... and I realized I needed a scripting engine; do you think it would be OK to expect users to script in Perl/Ruby, or should I roll my own?

AUGH!

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

Quote:Original post by Bromordra
If your college is anything like mine, your first year course will likely cover C++ in the most 'For Dummies' way possible. If you just want to be ahead of your class and make your life easier, I'd recommend learning a bit of C++. But if your intent is just to make games, C#/XNA is where it's at. I personally did both, but I was doing them for about 3 years before college, so you may want to focus your time on one or the other.

Thanks for the info. Again, not to thread hi-jack, but in what sense of games, just pc open source?

The way my course load works is roughly beginner programming first, then C++ for the next two years.

I figure in that time span I should probably be working on getting to a point to be able to code some games and whatnot, so I guess learning C# or XNA on the side and working on programs wouldn't be such a bad thing. But will it be extremely difficult to switch to C++ after I've developed games on say XNA? I'm kind of guessing a lot of core elements are similar, but this is the beginners forum, haha.
Quote:Original post by BGrizzMayne
How do you compare XNA to learning java or python for a total beginner?
The tools you'll be using to develop with C#/XNA are better than most of those available for Python, and comparable-if-not-better than those available for Java; whilst there are some very good Python environments available, most of the better ones are not free, whereas Microsoft provide an excellent IDE free of charge for C#.

The results you're able to achieve with any of those languages are pretty comparable, although you'll probably find more resources available for working with C#/XNA than with Java or Python.

If you're starting from scratch and choosing between these languages, I'd personally rank C# as first choice, followed by Python then Java.

The important thing however is to choose any language and start learning. If you've already made a start with Python you may be better off sticking with it. Try another language if you like, but make sure you stick to one of them; don't fall into the trap of changing technologies every few weeks or months without progressing past a beginner to intermediate stage.

Quote:But will it be extremely difficult to switch to C++ after I've developed games on say XNA? I'm kind of guessing a lot of core elements are similar, but this is the beginners forum, haha.
General programming skills are transferable from one language to another. Knowledge of how a game works will also transfer to creating games using different languages or libraries.

I wouldn't worry about the difficulty of switching languages at a later stage; just get started with what you've chosen and deal with learning additional languages when the time comes.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement