Software/Methods that make your life easier

Started by
3 comments, last by Nofootbird 13 years, 5 months ago
Hello.
As I'm about to start a game engine for the umpteenth time I decided to use whatever tools I have at my disposal to make it easier.
Lately for small projects (a week or two) I've used SVN for versioning and keeping track of the updates. I've also tried UML in the past but that turned out to be more hassle than simply writing stuff my way (writing things my way on the paper meant it was easy, fast but horribly messy and disorganized so I might get back to it if I find programs that make easy to use and more of an asset than inconvenience).

What I wanted to as of you is what programs/methodologies do you use to help you make your projects. I'm especially interested in areas like Organization of elements, descriptions of how everything works, TODO software and bug trackers.
Since I'm still studying my budget is rather low so free software/software with free versions are a lot of help.

Also I would ask of you if any of you knows a program that helps you design the project, with various views on it (for example, you it lets you see how every big part is connected to others, with a general description of what each part does, but in another view/zoom level it shows you which function names it has). Such a program would be a huge help when beginning a project, and would help you keep track of how far you've gone.

Huge Thanks in advance:
Spliter
Advertisement
For UML, try Violet. It's very easy to use.
As far as organization of elements goes, I like using mind mapping tools to create an outline for writing a rough draft for documentation or whatever. I remember using Mind Node on a Mac, but I am sure there are many free solutions as well.

For TODO, I would think to put up bullet points on the release page. Possibly with "Features" and "Known Issues" as well.
For bug tracking I'm using MantisBT (it requires Postgres and Apache with PHP, was quite easy to install and is doing just fine for my small project).

For todo list I'm using ScrumWorks. It's free for small teams (Basic version) and is created to support Scrum methodology (which seems to be the best in my opinion for small teams). It has all what I ever wanted - logging of how much time there is left to finish the project, to finish the sprint, etc. You have to register to get a license key, but there was no problem at all (even though I don't have my own business right now)

Generally speaking in Scrum you organize your whole project (may be done at once or by part each month) in items called backlog items (that's task that should be not greater than several days to complete). Later you split that backlog items to smaller tasks. Each month or so you create a sprint (that is a period of time when you commit to some tasks to to), decide which backlog items should be completed and do them.
For UML, I also encourage you to try enterprise architecture.

It's small and efficient. Though you have to pay for it, it is inexpensive for individual users.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement