Sign in to follow this  
Mossypne

Want to add multiplayer.

agisler    156
I would suggest learning about winsock to start with. There is quite a few articles on gamedev that should allow you to get going. Here is a link to articles relating to MP.

KulSeran    3267
Pick up a networking library like RakNet. Then go into your code and decide what things need to be updated over the network.

Try to first look at it in terms of commands (attack/move/ect.). If you keep both computer's simulations in sync, then sending commands will reduce the amount of network messages.

Next, look at everything that isn't viable to send as a command (ie position in an FPS), and send delta-compressed updates of that data out to the other computers.

Aken H Bosch    348
I very recently had to add multiplayer features to a single player game, and I did it within a rather short timeframe (10 weeks, with other schoolwork to deal with at the same time). Granted, I had some knowledge before I started, and I've been programming for years, but I found Sirisian's articles to be very helpful. I recommend trying them out yourself!

Here's one of his articles. There might be more...

If this is too basic, or too advanced, say so, that we may better assist you!

Edit: fixed mis-link. I blame copy and paste.

If you're curious, I had accidentally put the link to the announcement thread for my own multiplayer game. I was probably link-spamming it.

[Edited by - Aken H Bosch on October 10, 2010 10:38:25 PM]

hplus0603    11356
Hey, I bet a lot of people have the problem that they're starting out in network programming, and they don't know what to do. I bet there are some questions that are asked quite frequently because of that!

If only someone went through the trouble to answer all those questions with links and references, and put all those answers in one place, wouldn't that be great? If only...

Oh, wait, I've got it! Isn't that what the Forum FAQ is for?

:-)