Normals, Lighting and 3DSMax and OpenGL

Started by
0 comments, last by Pav3 22 years, 7 months ago
ok...so i need normals for lighting right? ok. when i make a model in 3DSMax, and export it to an ASE file, it gives me face normals (1 normal per face) and vertex normals (3 normals per face), so i wanted to ask what do i need? if i only take the face normals, the lighting is kinda gonna suck, but if i use 3 normals (1 per vertex) the lighting is gonna be better/slower? and how do i make Per Pixel Lighting? (I have Radeon, and i downloaded a demo of Per Pixel Lighting from ATI, so DON''T tell me it doesn''t work. thx.
**> ATi Rules! nvidia doesn''t...that simple! <**
Advertisement
Use normals per vertex if you want to have a smooth look for your surfaces. This doesn''t imply a performance loss at all, since this type of shading has been implemented in hardware for a while now...
I''m not familiar with per pixel lighting on a Radeon, but I guess they have some documents and source code online in their developer section concerning this subject. If not, you can always check out nVIDIA''s developer site for some information, but their demos probably won''t work on your card...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement