Need advice for a fast paced 2D action game

Started by
5 comments, last by Spline Driver 13 years, 6 months ago
I want to recreate a game I own in flash. The game has been around for about 13 years but has slowly been declining. It is programmed in java. What I want to do is recreate the game in flash to get new users to the game. It is easier to have someone try a game if its embedded on a website rather than having them download the full game.

The game is an action game, it has different maps and there are 2-4 teams with up to 8 players per team, but mostly up to 6. Most game plays are capture the flag. It is a simple 2D game where you shoot lasers at other teams to destroy them.

Due to the fast paced style of play, this game needs to be made using UDP. However, I can find very little information about flash games supporting UDP.

I have read a lot about rtmfp, but is this a realistic option? I am just looking for someone to point me in the right direction here, as I will simply not do this game without UDP.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Advertisement
I may be wrong, but I think I recall hearing that Silverlight 4 supports UDP.
you can also try shockwave.Ye silverlight will be good.
the problem with silverlight is most people do not have the player installed. I would rather go with unity3d over silverlight
Starting with v10, flash has some kind of UDP support.
It is still hackish as it is meant for media delivery:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cirrus/

I am pretty sure you can manage to write a client server using UDP in flash but it will take a lot of time.
Something you already have in unity and it is proven to work.
I've heard Unity3D is actually quite terrible for 2D games. It is much preferred to just use flash.
I would have to agree. Unity 3D is amazing. But for 2D games, I personally would be looking for another solution. Of course that is assuming you haven't started programming yet.

Otherwise you will be setting up a lot of GUITextures and making simple things much more complicated than they need be. Mostly because everything visible in Unity is a GameObject, and you can't add 2 of the same component, such as a GUITexture, to the same GameObject.

Anyway, nice job realizing that the best kind of game is embedded into the site.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement