Sign in to follow this  
SteveYin

how to caculate the frustum's value?

Currently I'm trying to intergrate two different sdk, in sdk a, it use fov/near/far/aspect to describ the camera's projection( of course, internal use matrix), but in sdk b, it use frustrum ( left/right/top/bottom/near/far in float) to describe the camera.

How can I calcluate the value of frustrum, ( left/right/top/bottom) from sdk a's property?

I'm not a master of math, so don't tell me to calculate the frustum from it's projection matrix..... :(

Here's the corresponding code from the CML:
float height = 2.f * std::tan(yfov * .5f) * near;
matrix_perspective(m, height * aspect, height, near, far);
I cleaned it up a little to make it more clear, but I don't think I messed anything up in the process, so it should be right.

Note that that's for vertical field of view. The code for horizontal field of view would be:
float width = 2.f * std::tan(xfov * .5f) * near;
matrix_perspective(m, width, width / aspect, near, far);

well, first of all , thank you.

But, I don't need to calculate the projection matrix, I need to calculate the six number of frustum, the left, right, top, bottom, these four value's, either from projection matrix or from fov, aspect...

Quote:
But, I don't need to calculate the projection matrix, I need to calculate the six number of frustum, the left, right, top, bottom, these four value's, either from projection matrix or from fov, aspect...
The code I posted shows how to compute the width and height of the view frustum at the near plane based on the aspect ratio and field of view, but you can easily compute the parameters you need from the width and height as follows:
float halfWidth = width / 2;
float halfHeight = height / 2;
float left = -halfWidth;
float right = halfWidth;
float bottom = -halfHeight;
float top = halfHeight;