Sign in to follow this  
rmetzger

Texture size in screen coordinates?

Hello.

I am drawing a 40 x 40 pixel sprite in Direct3D9 using LPD3DXSPRITE. I am also drawing a square on the screen using a line strip that is also 40 x 40 pixels. The two are not the same size on screen though. I have not changed the world matrix or set up a camera or anything like that. All I have done is draw these two things. The are both drawn in screen coordinates. Why are they not the same size and how do I get them to be the same size?

Thanks.

Quote:
Original post by MJP
Be careful if you use D3DXCreateTextureFromFile/D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx, as that function by default will scale to the next power-of-2 texture size.

Ok, that makes sense. It did look around 64 pixels on the screen and as if it had been stretched. I forgot about the power-of-2 thing. Is there a way to easily make the texture 40 pixels on the screen?

If you want to load a texture that's not power of two, use D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx and for the width and height parameter use D3DX_DEFAULT_NONPOW2. I'm pretty sure if you use the Ex function, simply specifying 40 for the width and height will work too. I though it only rounded up the size to power of two when you used the D3DXCreateTextureFromFile function.