Sign in to follow this  
jbosch

Managing game world objects

Hi there,

I'm plannig to write a new game (not very complicated one), but I'd like to do the things as good as possible, so I'd like to know if there are common patterns or techniques to store world data, how to manage all the objects of a level (enemies, obstacles, and so on)

Thanks

A common solution would be to store the game objects in a container of some sort (e.g. vector in C++, or List in C#).

It's fairly common also to have a scene graph of some sort (for rendering purposes) and/or a spatial partitioning system (for spatial queries such as collision tests). However, if your game isn't too complicated, storing everything in one or more simple containers may suffice.

Thanks!

Do you have any idea where can I find a tutorial about this, or what do I need to query in google to find something related to this?

I'm looking without much success :-(

Thanks!

Quote:
Do you have any idea where can I find a tutorial about this, or what do I need to query in google to find something related to this?

I'm looking without much success :-(
Can you specify what it is exactly that you're looking for info on? Container types? How to use containers in a specific language? Scene graphs? Spatial partitioning?

There's plenty of info available, so if you can be a little more specific I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.