[DX9] Calculate the direction

Started by
7 comments, last by Tano_ITA 13 years, 6 months ago
Hello to everyone,
i've my object into my 3d scene, i want to translate it on "Forward Vector". So the formula for the translation is

object_pos += direction*velocity;

I've the Pitch, Roll and Yaw of my game object. How can i calculate the direction vector that object is facing?

Thank for your suggests and sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
If your up axis is z then it's D3DXVector3 direction(cos(yaw), sin(yaw), 0);
But most likely it's y so D3DXVector3 direction(cos(pitch), 0, sin(pitch));

Give few tries and it'll sort out.

If i've my object with Yaw = 0.0f, Pitch = 0.0f, Roll = 0.0f and i apply that. I've a vector like this (1, 0, 0). And the object translate on X axis..

Wher i wrong?
Quote:Original post by Tano_ITA

If i've my object with Yaw = 0.0f, Pitch = 0.0f, Roll = 0.0f and i apply that. I've a vector like this (1, 0, 0). And the object translate on X axis..

Wher i wrong?
I'm not sure if Ripiz' answer is entirely correct, but the short answer to your question is, build a matrix from your yaw, pitch, and roll angles, and then extract the direction vectors directly from the matrix (they'll be in the first three rows of the matrix).
I've do something like this:

D3DXVECTOR3 GameObject::GetDirection(){	D3DXMATRIX mxRotation;	D3DXMatrixRotationYawPitchRoll( &mxRotation, transform.yaw, transform.pitch, transform.roll );	D3DXVec3TransformNormal( &transform.direction, &transform.direction, &mxRotation );	D3DXVec3Normalize(&transform.direction, &transform.direction);	return transform.direction;}

But it works fine only when i go on the Z direction, i will try to use the first row of matrix.
Quote:Original post by Tano_ITA
I've do something like this:

D3DXVECTOR3 GameObject::GetDirection(){	D3DXMATRIX mxRotation;	D3DXMatrixRotationYawPitchRoll( &mxRotation, transform.yaw, transform.pitch, transform.roll );	D3DXVec3TransformNormal( &transform.direction, &transform.direction, &mxRotation );	D3DXVec3Normalize(&transform.direction, &transform.direction);	return transform.direction;}

But it works fine only when i go on the Z direction, i will try to use the first row of matrix.
Assuming the object orientation is built from those angles as well, you don't want to transform the existing direction vectors by the rotation transform, but rather the cardinal basis vectors ((1, 0, 0), (0, 1, 0), and (0, 0, 1)). Of course that's the same as simply extracting the direction vectors from the first three rows of the matrix, which again is what I would recommend.
I can't understand why, but i've a problem with my method. The direction change at every Update() ! The code for my render is this:

void GameObject::Update(){	D3DXMatrixScaling(&m_mat_scale, transform.scale.x, transform.scale.y, transform.scale.z);	D3DXMatrixRotationYawPitchRoll( &m_Rotation, transform.yaw, transform.pitch, transform.roll );	D3DXVec3TransformNormal( &transform.direction, &transform.direction, &m_Rotation );	D3DXVec3Normalize(&transform.direction, &transform.direction);		D3DXMatrixTranslation(&m_mat_position, transform.position.x, transform.position.y, transform.position.z);		NinjaEngineDevice::get_ist()->m_d3d_device->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD, &( m_Rotation * m_mat_position * m_mat_scale));		for(m_itr = m_GameComponents.begin(); m_itr != m_GameComponents.end(); m_itr++)	{		/*(*m_itr).second->Update();*/		(*m_itr)->Update();	}}

and my code for GetDirection()

So transform.direction is different from previous frame! I don't rotate or translate my gameobject, so i can't understand why with the same Roll, Pitch and Yaw i've different results!

Any idea? Thanks a lot.
Based on a quick look over your code, it looks to me like you're transforming the direction vector each update. If that is in fact what you're doing, the direction vector may change even if the orientation doesn't.

From my earlier post:
Quote:Assuming the object orientation is built from those angles as well, you don't want to transform the existing direction vectors by the rotation transform, but rather the cardinal basis vectors ((1, 0, 0), (0, 1, 0), and (0, 0, 1)). Of course that's the same as simply extracting the direction vectors from the first three rows of the matrix, which again is what I would recommend.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're wanting, but if the goal is to acquire the local basis vectors of the object, you can just extract them directly from the orientation matrix as I mentioned previously.
Quote:Original post by jyk
From my earlier post

Yeah, that's work.. =) But i wanted to understand why my code dosen't work! Thanks a Lot!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement