Issues breaking into the industry?

Started by
16 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 6 months ago
loan + scholarship. I earned enough money to go abroad and live there for several months.
A student loan is has the finest conditions (at least in my country).
Advertisement
Compile a demo showcasing all the things you do accomplish through your coding,
and have the company look at that. If it's impressive enough, they may hire you for just that.

Otherwise, as mentioned, it could take a degree and/or work experience to convince them....

-Best of luck!
Community college at least.
In the meantime, make more games (i.e. "build a portfolio").
And start networking.
If you don't live in a game hotbed area, move. Read the forum FAQ above.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by RapidCrash
Should I attempt to find a job for some game company, or do you think I won't have enough experience? Should I attempt to actually complete the game I've been working on, even without any decent graphics or sound for the sake of completing it?

Yes.

Not sure where you are, but there is likely a community college within driving range that has a deal with the closest state university, where you can take most of your general classes on the cheap which will transfer in full when you do. If you're income situation is as you claim, you should qualify for a hefty dose of grants, and could probably cover the rest with work-study through the university, and certainly subsidized loans (where interest doesn't accrue until you graduate or leave school) for anything not covered. Good luck!

P.S. If you mostly complete your game with placeholder graphics, you shouldn't have much difficulty getting an artist on board.
Well, as stated in the book "Game Coding Complete, third edition", the author encountered a guy who made game demo that was far more advanced than "Ultima VIII" at that time. The management hired him at once even though he had no formal education of any kind. He was 100% self taught. More often than not the best people in the game development team will be self-learned.

Moral of the story: It is your portfolio, your actual work that really speaks, not a bunch of words on a CV.

-Fakhir
byteRender Games
http://www.byterender.com
byteRender Gameshttp://www.byterender.com/
Quote:Original post by fakhirsh: The management hired him at once even though he had no formal education of any kind. He was 100% self taught. More often than not the best people in the game development team will be self-learned.

This is an example of drawing the wrong conclusion from a single instance.
I met a guy who won the lotto and got rich. More often than not, people who play the lotto get rich.
See how that logic don't fly?

Quote:Original post by RapidCrash
I realize those things for a college, but it is mostly funding that is my issue. I would have to take out a load for pretty much everything: tuition, housing, food, etc... Which is a very undesirable thing unless I absolutely have to.

I went to college with zero assistance from my parents (aside from being able to live at home the first two years). A combination of academic scholarships, frugal living, loans, and good old fashioned jobs while studying got me through just fine. And I still had some time leftover to meet people, go to parties, etc.

The happy ending to the story is that 4 years out of college I am now debt free and working in the games industry. And I had some $25k US in loans when I was done, even with working all through college. So it's definitely doable. Good luck!
Quote:Original post by kuroioranda
I went to college with zero assistance from my parents (aside from being able to live at home the first two years). A combination of academic scholarships, frugal living, loans, and good old fashioned jobs while studying got me through just fine. And I still had some time leftover to meet people, go to parties, etc.

The happy ending to the story is that 4 years out of college I am now debt free and working in the games industry. And I had some $25k US in loans when I was done, even with working all through college. So it's definitely doable. Good luck!

I love that story! Hope to meet you at GDC or E3 or something, kuroi oranda...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement