Sign in to follow this  
Computercodemonkey

The New Guy (Or The FNG)

Ok i really want to learn to actually program but i have a few problems
1. having known enough pascal to dink around in it is now useless
2. I know enough c/c++ to fill a floppy drive barely
3. Until now lack of time/motivation

so here is what I'm looking for if people can post links and/or
would take me under their wing to help me learn this right.

I want to game program particularly Old School console style RPGs
that or something in the graphical rouge-like direction.
I'm also interested in a few other kinds of games but nothing that will be
going to be stunningly 3d.

My biggest problem is in every C++( that is what I have been told I should use)
is that it go from ok i get it no problem to wait what did we just do there
and finding a good explanation sometimes takes 5-6 other sources by then
I'm now really lost on the concept by having to search for it again and again

and what ide/compiler should i use? do i need to blow big money on one of the
big boys or will the free ones work?

so I'm looking for a tutorial or a book or a free class or something to help me nail
the concepts so i can start programing for fun and profit

Thank you for reading my wall of text
Josh

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/ and download visual c# 2010 express (free).

Learn the basics of C# (I like http://www.amazon.com/Programming-4-0-Building-Applications-Framework/dp/0596159838/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1286924383&sr=8-16 but maybe check out http://www.amazon.com/Head-First-2E-Real-World-Programming/dp/1449380344/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1286924445&sr=8-21 )

Once you feel comfortable with the basics of C#, go back to the first link and download windows phone developer tools (even if you dont want to program for windows phone, it includes XNA 4). Then you can either buy a book on XNA or use some online tutorials, I like: http://www.riemers.net/eng/tutorials.php and http://rbwhitaker.wikidot.com/xna-tutorials (note the second one has tutorials on C#, but I havn't checked them out).

That'll get you a long way. If you want to program RPGs, then after those tutorials you might like to pick up http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Studio-Wordware-Graphics-Library/dp/1598220659/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1286924663&sr=1-1 I havn't read it, but its supposed to have a heavy RPG focus without a lot of XNA, so it should flesh out what you need to know.

C++ is not dead but the current common POV is that it is reserved for "experts".

You know yourself best so if you want to go into C++ you totally should.

The benefit however of XNA is that you can make games for xbox live arcade via XNA and C#.

If you made a C++ game that you want to release on XBLA, you have to spend many 10s of thousands of dollars on top of getting MS to recognize you as an official developer which will probably take some convincing!

Of course if you don't care about xbla or are targeting other platforms (just pc, droid, iphone, whatever), other languages may make more sense for you.

But no, C++ is definitely not dead, and is THE language for AAA professional game development (:

Ok my main focus will be PC droid and iphone
i personaly think microsoft is overrated at everything
so i plan to make win32/linux binaries for most of my stuff

C++ is heady getting into it it has many sudden dropoffs of knowlege
what should i start with to move me towards writing games that i will be able to put on a webpage and share/sell untill some huge company comes and says work for us so i can turn them down and keep making my games my way

i already have a buddie who can do the gfx and my roomate is all things audio so that leaves me with being the guy who makes the core work

so what should i learn first to progress to c++ pro status lol

im currently looking for games that have open source so i can peek under the hood and see how its done

but if i should learn another language/program first what should it be
and complier/ide help i want full features but not microsoft if i can help it

I should have clarified, but c#/xna is both easy and fast. If you're looking to develop for 'fun and profit' its a no brainer imo to learn those than to learn c++.

That said if you're targetting the iPhone/android market, you should learn the languages for them. Tbh it sounds like you're trying to bite off an awful lot when you've struggled with time/motivation and learning so far. Why not pick an initial target, and then ask what you should learn to achieve that?

hmm ok i guess im a little unclear

but the time motivation thing is because ive been to busy with family
my whole life and now after my divorce ive got a huge amount of free time
when i tried to learn c++ before it was ohh look i have a hour this week i can work on this in and i ended up going over the same bits because i couldent rember anything from the 3-4 weeks previous when i got to work on it.

so now i have time and motivation
i want to program for win32 since its the most common platform but i also love linux so it gets its space too

so now we ask what do i need to learn or work on before c++ if anything
to start making games for fun and profit(btw fun and profit doesn't mean quick easy brainless games)

Quote:
Original post by Computercodemonkey
so now we ask what do i need to learn or work on before c++ if anything
to start making games for fun and profit(btw fun and profit doesn't mean quick easy brainless games)

Ok, short answer would be 'nothing'. Step one would be learning the language first. Since your situation has changed, hopefully the issues you had previously will no longer be an issue. If you've already got a good C++ book, start working through it, otherwise look at picking one up, or finding a good set of tutorials online.

As for IDE, well I'd still go with microsoft and grab the visual c++ express IDE, I just can't see a downside to using a commercial grade product for free, however if you're really anti-microsoft, I'm sure there are other options, just google around.

Beyond that, maybe some more experienced folks will have some feedback. I think the concept of developing for both windows and linux is going to be a bigger task than you seem to think. You're going to be using DirectX for windows and something entirely different for linux.

Also, dont make the mistake of thinking quick and easy development has to equal quick, easy brainless games. Those are two completely unrelated things.

[edit] Oh, and again someone else might comment, but it could be that you'd do better to learn Python than C++, much easier learning curve by all reports, but still on my list of things to look at so I can't personally comment. It is platform independent though.

If you want to use SDL, check out google "Lazyfoo SDL".

MS express C++ is the best free dev environment as of the moment but the download is a little too big.

For a full-pledged dev environment which is easy to use and set-up, you can use codeblocks + mingw.

I would chose SFML over SDL. I found it MUCH easier to get into, not to mention it generally runs faster then SDL (unless you use SDL + OpenGL).

SFML is multiplatform.

http://www.sfml-dev.org/